Will canon 5 cartridges be compatible with the Canon pixma iP3000

SprinterOz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all i'm new to the forums, in live in a small town in australia and have very few shops i have a post office that has a BCI-5 and a BCI-8 cartrage but when I read the specs it say from ip3300 up and nothing about ip3000.

Now I have to print out a form ASAP and wish to know if i can buy this BCI-5 cartrage and if it will work in my printer pixma iP3000.

I have looked up online and found out that the ip3300 has a chip for drop counting, but i do not know if the pixma iP3000 has the same type of chip built into there cartrages, or even if my printer even reads from a drop counter chip.

Any help on this would be very greatfull
Thanks for your time SprinterOz

( Edit) sorry forgot to add that i only wish to replace the black ink as i have no color cartrages in my printer

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The iP3000 uses a wide pigment black ink cartridge called the BCI-3eBk and three narrow BCI-6 dye ink color cartridges. The BCI-5 cartridges are physically the same as the BCI-6 cartridges so you could use those in place of your color cartridges which you say you are not using (very risky). Although there is a BCI-5Bk, it is narrow and will not go into your iP3000.

If you have no color cartridges in your printer and your black cartridge is apparently out of ink, does this mean that you have no ink at all in your printer? It's not a good idea to allow your printer to be out of ink. There is a good chance that the nozzles will clog. I would suggest that you buy three color BCI-5 cartridges and put them in your printer. You will not the Yellow, Cyan and Magenta. Do not get the PC or PM or BK.

Now here's a little secret that you can use in an emergency that might work so that you can print your form. Take the wide black cartridge out of you printer, close the lid, open the lid and put it back in your printer. The printer will think you have a low (instead of an empty) cartridge in it. The next time you print, it will do a head cleaining which will waste some ink and then attempt to print. If the printout looks good, you're in luck. But if it doesn't print like it should, you should cancel the print and get a cartridge for your printer. In fact, you should get a cartridge as soon as possible whether it works or not.

This trick works because your printer uses cartridges that do not have chips in them.

SprinterOz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi ghwellsjr thanks for the heads up i will buy some of the right cartridges and give the lid test a go as this makes alot of sence and was affard that it would be this fact with the other cartridges but thought i better ask the pro's

cheers again and have a nice weekend cya' SprinterOz

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If you have an IP3000 and want some neat insitu refillable cartridges from an oz supplier.

Look at http://www.inkwell.com.au/canon/cfc.htm

I have trialled a set of these in one of my low use IP3000. They have a siphon mechanism between the chambers and the reservoir chamber is open to the air but the cartridge doesn't leak and can be refilled in situ. The low ink detector still works and when this shows open the lid and let the print head come to the centre. Then 10mls of black or 5 mls of colour in a syringe with a needle is injected into the already open hole. No mess, no leaking , no plugs.

Sounds like I am trying to sell these, but am not. If I had discovered these before CISS I would use in all low volume units.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
ocular, please upload a few photo on the siphon mechanism between the chambers and the reservoir chamber.

Since the reservoir chamber is open, there is no opening at the bottom of the partition wall between the two chambers. Am I right? Interest to see how the siphon mechanism works.