Why would...

jjonsalt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Why would a printer be designed to use pigmented black but dye for the colors?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The pigment black is for printing on plain paper. If you have Canon ink or a good third party ink that is really 100% pigment, then it won't smear or run on the printed page if it gets wet. It's as good as a laser printer produces.

The dye colors are designed mainly for photo papers where they also will not run. Many Canon printers also have a dye black.

The problem comes when you print colors on plain paper. They look good until you get water on the printout, then it smears and runs, unless you use a specially coated paper that minimizes the problem. The only paper I have found that fits this need is HP Bright White Inkjet 24 lb paper.

jjonsalt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I can't think of a time in over 50 years of being a shutter bug that I got a print wet. I'm not saying it has never happened, but I can't recall when.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Try to print by your Canon printer a colorful graphic on a sheet of inkjet coated paper like Epson's heavy weight (or light weight) Matte paper and on a sheet of plain paper. Compare the two you will quickly conclude that the plain paper is far less vivid in colors when printed with dye based color inks. But if you print the same graphic on an Epson printer that uses Epson's DuraBrite pigmented ink you will get very vibrant colors despite the paper is a plain paper. However, if you want to print photos dye based inks printer on glossy inkjet photo paper will give you more vibrant colors than Epson printers printing on plain paper or matte paper. Epson pigment based inks don't print well on glossy papers.

You do want to print black text on plain paper with pigmented black ink. If you print a black text poster and post it outdoors you will see a difference when it rains.

jjonsalt

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Speaking only for the way I do things, I mainly print on gloss photo paper and don't post anything outside (or inside for that matter). Looks like dye based is best for me.