White dots on graphics

ericbalkan

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Just replaced the printhead on a Canon IP5000 and thought my problems were over. Then I noticed there are numerous tiny white dots in any graphic I print. I put back the old printhead and I see the same thing. Those dots weren't there a few months ago.... Deep cleaning didn't help. Any idea what's gone wrong? (I'm using plain paper and Canon ink carts.)

ericbalkan

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Finally got back to this. The nozzle check test print looks fine. The number of white dots is reduced when I use the highest quality print setting, but there are still some there -- and there didn't use to be any when I look at what we printed some months ago. Deep cleaning didn't help. Out of ideas.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Have you tried using another software? May be MS Word will print with white dots, and Photoshop won't?

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Eric-
Found this bit of info in the book 'The Art of Digital Fine Art Printing' by Steinmueller & Gulbins. It may be relevant to your problem:

'Often there are loose, tiny paper particles attached to the paper. These particles may clog your printer (print heads & rollers). If they remain on the paper while printing and fall off later, you may have tiny white (paper colored) spots on your print. For this reason, we advise wiping the paper with a very soft brush before printing.'

ericbalkan

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Simon, it does seem to matter what program I used. When my wife used the same program she had used some months ago, we didn't see any white dots. Also, when I had done my first testing, I hadn't set the printer to the highest quality. Problem solved, I think. Thanks!

Edward, that's an interesting tip to remember. Thanks.