Which printers actually work with ARC?? List your models

ZenMasta

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am getting pretty frustrated with CISS and chips in general. Seems like I just get screwed by them.
Last year I ordered a CISS it seemed to work great so I ordered some more. A couple of my printers rejected them and I had to do warranty replacements on the printers because they stopped printing (even with brand new OEM carts). Then the chips expired and they became useless.

I just bought some new chip caps the other day, they seemed to work great and then after they went empty and I went to install a new cart with the same chip the printer had a firmware error and will not print anymore. As soon as it turns on it instantly has a firmware issue. I could not even reflash the printer it was that bad.

I am very cautious about upgrading to any printer that uses the HP 88 cartridges because the print heads are multi color, and I still have probably 200 #11 cartridges and still about maybe 100 OEM caps that still work and aren't expired.
I've been trying to create a CIS out of my OEM cartridges and maybe I have too much invested in HP to switch but I would consider it. Especially if the ink was the same. I still have a few quarts of cmy and about a gallon of pigmented black.

HP Business Inkjet 2280 (parallel cable)
HP Business Inkjet 1100 network/duplex
HP Business Inkjet 2800 network/duplex

The 2800 rejects the chips after they are used once with a firmware error that hoses the printer.
INK_SUPPLY_ILG.C: 2142 (i assume this means illegal cyan cartridge)
and on another printer ACUMEN_TEST.C:346 (we had used an arc for magenta)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I can't speak for the exact model of printers that you have but I do have the K850N which is an HP10/11 cartridge printer and the ARC's I have for that printer do work and reset ok with that printer. Granted I haven't pushed them to the ends of the earth but they've worked well so far. Certainly nothing with like firmware hosings...

One thing I have noted though is that unless you've been very lucky, you have to use a full set of ARC's that are from the same set/manufacturer as many are black chip dependent. This means that they rely on the black chip to store the info, reset and allow them to carry on. With the HP88's I have two different types which are black dependent and independent... The latter are better for refillers who want the cartridge to announce it's own levels and not rely on one other.

All in all, my experience with HP ARC's is reasonably limited but if you want I'd be happy to send you out a set of HP10/11 ARC's I have so you can try them out and see if they're any better... Assuming of course, that you want to risk any further issues...

ZenMasta

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Do you think that HP Genuine chips are Black dependant? In one circumstance I was using KCM 3rd party arcs and genuine Yellow.
On the other printer that gave me the same problem I was only using a Magenta ARC while the KCY were genuine hp.

It seems like K850 is an obsolete model now. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I know HP 11 in general is obsolete but it's harder to find models now. At this point I only really need standard letter size documents with duplex printing. We don't duplex tabloid anymore. I found some Business inkjet 3000 models the other day so I'll see how those work out.

I just had a lengthy convo with tech support. I removed the back cover (duplex unit) and then all the printheads and cartridges. Then I instaleld the back cover. Then each print head one at a time, followed by each cartridge one at a time. After it printed an alignment page, I restarted the printer and it cleared all the errors.

I still have problems with the ARCS where it says the cartridge is not installed but some of them are working (and on both printers I might add). :/ It's a freakin mystery.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ZenMasta said:
Do you think that HP Genuine chips are Black dependant? In one circumstance I was using KCM 3rd party arcs and genuine Yellow.
On the other printer that gave me the same problem I was only using a Magenta ARC while the KCY were genuine hp.
In general I think it's a bad idea to use ARC's with anything other than other ARC's from the same batch. Also the fact that there can be a dependent type of chip makes me wonder if the Black chip isn't involved in more than just its own monitoring so you could be right.

As a rule though, I'd go with one or other, not mix.

It seems like K850 is an obsolete model now. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I know HP 11 in general is obsolete but it's harder to find models now. At this point I only really need standard letter size documents with duplex printing. We don't duplex tabloid anymore. I found some Business inkjet 3000 models the other day so I'll see how those work out.
No worries :)

I just had a lengthy convo with tech support. I removed the back cover (duplex unit) and then all the printheads and cartridges. Then I instaleld the back cover. Then each print head one at a time, followed by each cartridge one at a time. After it printed an alignment page, I restarted the printer and it cleared all the errors.
Thanks for sharing that fix.. Useful intel to be stored for future use.

I still have problems with the ARCS where it says the cartridge is not installed but some of them are working (and on both printers I might add). :/ It's a freakin mystery.
Like I said, it's probably a cross compatibility thing in that the information is not necessarily 100% accurate between chips..

bdivineiii

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
After reading the posts in the forum I've stumbled upon the solution. Since the colors depend on the black ARC; simply take an original HP black cartridge (does not matter if expired) and install it while leaving the color cartridges from CIS inside printer. The printer will now tell you to install the colors (although they're in there). At this point, swap out OEM Black with CIS Black, and Whallah!....All is happy again. :) ... Hope this helps....
-------- Techies Rant Below_Please disregard------------ :)
I've had to Battle with this HP 2800 BusinessJet for a client of mine for quite some time now, and have slowly develeped a deep and burning hatred of the product. It should be illegal to tie the consumers hands like that on something that is paid for in full. No wonder there is a law suit against HP for their 'Smart' chips.