Which new printer?

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I've been a long time Canon user, but the last printer died in just under 4 years. Someone in the Canon forum suggested I look at Epsons because of the reliability of the piezo print heads.

Here are the features I want:
It must have easily refillable ink cartridges. (i.e. Canons are easy, HP cartridges-at least the old ones-were a pain)
It must have at least one black ink cartridge rather than mixing / wasting colors to produce black.
I'd like to be able to print CD's directly.

Mostly I print documents. Occasionally I print pictures on photo paper. I would like to print on CD's and given the choice of two printers, I'd pay a little extra for the one which could print directly to CDs. I print sporadically. It might be two weeks till I print something, so if the heads require regular printing to keep them unclogged, that would be a minus. I already have a scanner, but would consider an all in one if met the other requirements.

What are good choices?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
RWL said:
I've been a long time Canon user, but the last printer died in just under 4 years. Someone in the Canon forum suggested I look at Epsons because of the reliability of the piezo print heads.

Here are the features I want:
It must have easily refillable ink cartridges. (i.e. Canons are easy, HP cartridges-at least the old ones-were a pain)
It must have at least one black ink cartridge rather than mixing / wasting colors to produce black.
I'd like to be able to print CD's directly.

Mostly I print documents. Occasionally I print pictures on photo paper. I would like to print on CD's and given the choice of two printers, I'd pay a little extra for the one which could print directly to CDs. I print sporadically. It might be two weeks till I print something, so if the heads require regular printing to keep them unclogged, that would be a minus. I already have a scanner, but would consider an all in one if met the other requirements.

What are good choices?
First of all what was wrong with the sound advice turbguy gave you in exactly the same post early today?
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=59750#p59750

We cant answer you any faster even if you put us on speed dial.. :idunno

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
First of all what was wrong with the sound advice turbguy gave you in exactly the same post early today?
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=59750#p59750
:idunno
Nothing wrong with his advice. I took it * and I'm now adding a query here in order to see what models of Epson are refillable, produce good quality results, and print directly to CD's. I've been reading some of the old posts, but it's difficult to know what search words to use to answer my question. The reading and searching is going slower than I had wished. Hopefully those of you in the forum will have the information readily at hand.

What I've learned so far is that I want one with at least 4 or 5 ink cartridges, and that the aftermarket cartridges intended to be refilled are the way to to with Epson, rather than trying to refill their original cartridges. It sounds like one with pigment ink for text gives clearer darker text, and that's what I'm used to. I bought an all in one the last time in order to be able to use refillable (Canon) cartridges, but would prefer a standalone printer rather than an AIO, although this early in the search process, that's still flexible. The wide format printers look interesting, but the 24" width footprint is problematic.

*Somehow I'm reminded of the Yogi Berra quote - "When you come to the fork in the road, take it."

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
RWL
Sorry for reading it completely wrong, I can now see why you posted twice. :duc
**My mouth can sometime be a great place to rest my foot in... Quote:- all mine. :hide

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Over in the Canon forum, one responder recommended an Epson Artisan 730 all in one. I see from the review at PC Magazine that its text printing isn't so good. "Cons: Subpar text. Output on plain paper looks faded. Low paper capacity." I do value good text, so this might not be a good choice for me, but the other features look good. Which model(s) of Epson, either dedicated printer, or AIO machine is a step up from this and does good text, and ideally prints directly to CDs? Most of my printing is text and only occasionally do I print a photo for someone.

santer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You may want to contact Epson where you are to see if you get the same response

13:22:51 : Connected to etalk.epson-europe.com

13:22:51 : Session ID: 1400010

13:22:51 : CustomerSanter: Initial Question/Comment: Can you recommend a printer which has good text output and prints onto CD discs please

13:22:56 : SystemSystem: Thank you for connecting to Epson's chat service.

13:22:56 : SystemSystem: Agent has joined this session!

13:22:56 : SystemSystem: Connected with Agent. Your reference number for this chat session is 1400010.

13:23:01 : Agent: Thank you for contacting Epsons UK Customer Interaction Centre.

13:23:06 : Agent: Hi Santer

13:23:08 : CustomerSanter: Hello

13:24:57 : Agent: I would recommend the XP-700. Please use the following link to view further details:

13:25:02 : Agent: Page pushed, http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/support/11950

13:25:10 : CustomerSanter: Thanks

13:25:27 : Agent: You're welcome. Is there anything else I may help with?

13:25:38 : CustomerSanter: No, that's all

13:26:22 : Agent: You're welcome. Thank you for using Epson's online chat service. If you require further assistance please reconnect to www.epson.co.uk/contact-us. Lines are open 9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday. Goodbye.

13:26:27 : SystemSystem: Agent has left this session!

13:26:27 : SystemSystem: The session has ended!

Maybe worth checking if you can get compatibles, refillables or a continuous ink system for it if you want to use any of those