Which is better inkjet printer?

jeremyst

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If i had the financial means to buy another printer which one would be good for home use? the ink cartridge with a printhead built-in or a cartridge without? What are the advantages and disadavantages of both?
Thank u in advance. :D

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The advantage of using a printer with cartridges with a built-in print head is that a new print head solves any problem with clogged nozzles but they are not the best for refilling and they tend not to be have the highest density of nozzles. If you don't want to refill but you do want to buy third-party cartridges, then you should just look around for what's available. You also have to be careful with today's printers that most of them use chips that make refilling more of a problem. I'm still using printers from many years ago that didn't have chips in them and have not kept up with the current status so maybe others will chime in on a recommendation for a new printer. But it would help if you could list some printers that are available in your area and state whether you want to refill or buy compatible cartridges.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
depends on what you want to do. If its mainly documents with the occasional photograph I use a HP Photosmart 7760 which uses the 56/57/58 carts with the print head built in. OEM/Compatible/Refilled readily available. Pros. quiet in operation little head cleaning new print head every time you fit a new cart. Minuses costs are quite high if you want high quality photographs like my son requires you have to take out the black cart and use a color cart in addition the the tri-colour one.

If you want a good around printer which scans/copies/prints I use a Canon Pixma 620 which is a 5 ink machine which with practice is relatively easy to refill. So costs are a lot lower capabilities are a lot higher. Colour photos are good but probably not as good as the dedicated photo versions. Wireless operation is a great boon if available.

I bought mine in the UK as a ex demo for 40 and it appeared brand new when it arrived and I have been delighted with my choice

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
jeremyst said:
If i had the financial means to buy another printer which one would be good for home use? the ink cartridge with a printhead built-in or a cartridge without? What are the advantages and disadavantages of both?
Thank u in advance. :D
Might be a cheap B&W laser printer...if you do documents only...they are LOT less trouble and are economical, too!

Wayne

jeremyst

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank u for the replies. i use the printer mostly for cd labeling and sometimes for printing photos. i have a bad experience with hp photosmart printer, so maybe i would give a try for a cheap canon all-in-one printer with cartridge that have printhead in it. as for laser printer, it's quite expensive here.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you want a Canon all-in-one that prints directly on CD/DVD's, it looks like you will have to buy a one of the more expensive models with separate ink tanks. It looks like Canon does not offer direct disc printing in the two cartridge models. Canon have different models for different markets, so I recommend checking the Canon website in your country.