What is causing this dark bar alongside the print!?

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've been happily printing on my Epson 2200 for years and years.

But I notice, after upgrading from Panther to Snow Leopard with a Mac Pro that all of a sudden I get this dark bar that appears alongside the image!

I tried fiddling with all the print settings in the dialogue box. I tried changing the paper size... I tried everything, but it still shows up.

I've tried changing the paper setup from standard to roll paper to 'standard minimize margins'. But it still shows up. I suspected it might have something to do with margins. It only appears on the right side of the image.

I'm printing from a photoshop file, as I've been happily doing for years and years. But now I cannot figure out where this dark bar comes from or how to get rid of it.

Any help much appreciated.

5421527949_01680eaefe_b.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
by Johnny Z

Can I ask you does the black bar show up in print preview at all..

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Nope... doesn't show in the preview at all.

I've upgraded to the latest epson driver through the Snow Leopard epson driver update.

Mysterious!

Wondering_Mike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Have more Epson-Snow Leopard users experience this?

I think there has to be some malfunction in the communication between printer and computer, so have you tried a new data (usb) cable?

Is your printer old? My HP5150 in windows 7 will, sometimes, spew out garbled random pixels when I wait to long with the second part printing in duplex mode.

Is your printer Snow Leopard proof driver wise?

Let us know what you find when you try a new data cable.

Otherwise I would suggest you run a program like VirtuaBox to emulate a "Panther" environment to do your printing. I know a big workaround but would you rather have the black bar in all your prints?

Good luck!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Johnny Z
The problem you may have is that the printer could be too old to work with the new 64 bit operating system.
Because if the black line is not in the print preview then its most likely to be a communications error caused by the old printer.
You could try boot camp and load back on your old operation system and use that to print your documents from.. :|

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'll look into the 64 bit driver issue.

In looking back I think this problem did not begin so much with the new Mac Pro and Snow Leopard, but rather it started after upgrading from 10.6.2 to 10.6.5.

Ugh! I suspect it's probably all part a plot by Epson to get users to upgrade to the latest pigment printer with their $20 cartridges...

:0)

Wondering_Mike

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Johnny Z said:
Ugh! I suspect it's probably all part a plot by Epson to get users to upgrade to the latest pigment printer with their $20 cartridges...
:0)
Don't think it's a plot, unless little green men are also in on it :p

anyway keep us posted on your results!