What brand is the best for use with compatible ink?

lnthai2002

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to buy a new printer for my home network. We have 4 computers: 2 use windowsXP, one runs Linux and the other runs Solaris 10. The 4 computer connect to the router which has a printer port (parallel). So the printer must be shared to all computers. The requirement for the printer is:
1/Text printing only, speed is not a matter, laser is preferable
2/Can use compatible ink
3/Doube side printing is preferable
4/Scaner and fax included are not a requirement but preferable
5/Its Unix driver and Windows driver must give the same functionality such as print double side, shrink to fit paper size, print in grayscale mode...
6/Reasonable price

My current printer which is a HP OfficeJet 725 has the following problems:
1/Printing by compatible ink is not sharp, has some line in the text make it hard to read.(this is the bigest problem)
2/On Unix, after printing the last page, it consumes another blank page then just eject that blank page without doing anything usefull
3/On Unix, whenever i want to print a text in an special mode(draft), i need to setup the printer from root account
My friend told me that HP is the worst printer for compatible ink since the HP ink cartridge is very hard to refill and even refill successful it can not produce a stable quality. I guess it 's true but how about other brand, Lexmark, Brothers, Epson, Canon?

If by chance anyone has a printer that satisfy all the requirements above, please let me know.
Thanks in advance