What a great forum!

mmcmusnret

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I found you folks in January as I was searching for recommendations for replacing my trusty S900 so I could print in my wife's favorite size for display (5x7, which Canon told me I could never, ever do with the S900 when I called them after failing numerous times with 4 different printing programs). I couldn't believe what a great repository of information I'd discovered, with a core of very knowledgeable experts who aren't afraid to try something just to see how it'll turn out. In addition to finding enough unbiased info to make my purchasing decision, I grew very excited about refilling so I could escape Canon's monetary black hole and print whatever, whenever, for whomever. By the time I'd decided on an iP8500, though, spring had sprung, diverting my attention outdoors for the summer, so I put off getting the printer until "next winter". Winter has come a little early to the Idaho Rockies this year, so my first office task was to get my printer...I spent the better part of three days reading through the inkjet section of this forum, and imagine my dismay to learn how much had changed in the world of Canon in a few short months. Jumped to eBay, got a barely used iP8500 for a like-new price (usage confirmed with the secret codes found on this forum...only 77 pages printed and no tank replacements!), did the CD print mod complete with Canon OEM parts (waiting for my Verbatim media to arrive to see how it works), ordered two sets of TrueColors prefilled from alotofthings with which to replace my OEM's as they run out, my Formulab ink so I can use Grandad's profiles, called Tacoma Screw and ordered a hundred of each nylon screws and o-rings, and got some of the orange clips from CompuBiz. I have 32 empty OEM carts (counting the ones still in my S900 and the ones that came with the iP8500, all of which I'll use up first), which I intend to purge and vacuum fill (the first time) as soon as I'm running exclusively on the TrueColors carts. My only dismay in my shopping spree was my inability to find the blue plugs at Computer Friends or SellInk. Kinda wanted to try them...

Bottom line to this introductory post is that by the end of this winter I expect to be printing like I've always wanted...profusely, with high quality, low cost, and the very minor hassle of keeping carts topped off. I expect my learning curve to get to that point will be steep, but so many pitfalls will be avoided by putting to use the knowledge I've gleaned from you guys on this forum. I hope that someday I'll be able to contribute something back to this community.

I've got one question hanging out there on the forum unanswered about mothballing my S900...not important, cause I think all I need to do is clean everything (head, sponges) using the most thorough methods described here, and it will be awhile before I pull the tanks and put them in the 8500. I have one more question...I set up for auto print (Neil, you have a great page too!), but I ran into a roadblock when it came to selecting a picture to print...anyone have a test image that guarantees all the nozzles on my 8-color printer get exercised? Googled for one but nothing obvious came up. Can I use my Monaco IT-8 target? I'm specifically concerned with the red and green nozzles.

Thanks again for all your effort in building this gold mine. Now, on to researching getting the best quality scans of 35mm slides (got 800 to scan for the family) with my Epson 4990...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
mmcmusnret said:
I have one more question...I set up for auto print (Neil, you have a great page too!), but I ran into a roadblock when it came to selecting a picture to print...anyone have a test image that guarantees all the nozzles on my 8-color printer get exercised? Googled for one but nothing obvious came up. Can I use my Monaco IT-8 target? I'm specifically concerned with the red and green nozzles.
Ah... I was about to post this link:
http://www.inksupply.com/html/zip/purge.zip

..but that doesn't resolve your red/green quandry.. In truth if you can probably find something over on Steve's forum if you ask there..

I also found this as it contains red and green blocks which may at least give you good colour values to use if you opt to create your own.

Hope that helps :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey mmcmusnret, thanks for the great comments. Very glad that the forum has been helpful. Sounds like you've gleamed some of the best suggestions from this forum into one combined experience.

We've got an amzingly excellent community here and are always looking for new members who are just as excited about what they can do with their printers and cartridges as we are!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
nifty-stuff.com said:
We've got an amzingly excellent community here
...uhoh... who let Rob at the beer keg again.. !! :eek: ;)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
okay okay I didn't use my spell check... sheesh! ;)

Good thing I wield my power with responsibility or I'd just edit my post and delete yours! :D