Waterproofing prints

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I used some hp premium plus high gloss paper and tested for water resistance, none. As soon as water touched it it smeared. Under running water eventually the coating turns to slime and washes off and you're left with a high gloss blank postcard. Unfortunately you can't print on it. Ink lays on it and doesn't dry. So I decided to try some clearcoat. I used Chemguard acrylic clear since it theoretically is uv resistant and is flexible. Well I painted it outdoors and aside from a few specks of dust, which a mini spray booth aka cardboard box can prevent, it looks great no bleeding of colors or change in tint or print quality. Best of all super high gloss comparable to film photo glossies and complete water resistance. Well not complete after washing in running water for 5 minutes, the edges turned white but only about 1/4 mm in. I guess this would be another way to make photos last. I figure a can is good for about 50 4x6 prints for only about $5 it only adds 10 cents to a print. I should just leave it in my window with an original non clear to see if it improves fade resistance I'll report on it later then.

Aussieinker

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For the Aussies in the group we have White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic available at Bunnings (large hardware chain) or large paint stores it comes in gloss and satin and does a great job of waterproofing. If you want the print very waterproof do the back first let it dry, then a quick spray along the edges and then the front face. I have used this on maps that can be used with wet hands etc.

Bluey84

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Nice idea! will try with some of my stuff...
i also might need this stuff for my nike air force ones that have been graffiti on by a local artist! as i have worn them a few times i can see the paint coming off :(

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
HP Premium Photo Paper and Premium Plus Photo Paper are swellable papers. They by design can't be waterproof.
You need to use micro-porous paper (like any Canon paper) and coat it with protective spray. I use Hair spray without additives (the cheapest kind). Works fine.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Smile, HP Premium Plus Glossy Photo Paper can be sprayed with protective spray. I used them before. See below.

The spray has a very thick texture and it felt as if the photo surface has been laminated. Without any protective spray, on contact of water and if one try to wipe the surface of the HP Premium Plus glossy swellable paper, it will remove the surface layer.

3650035885_ec033bb6f6.jpg
3650836730_ab3e889c05.jpg

3650738300_7661c5979a.jpg

Above picture is printed with lower resolutions (PPPGII & Standard print quality) so it looks a bit grainy.

I hardly sprayed nowsaday because of the smell of chemical spray and also because I don't have a conducive environment where I can spray. Beside the spray also add to the cost.