Waterproof dye Inkjet Ink?

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
Hello, I was wondering if do exists some ink decent (something with an acceptable gamut that I can calibrate) quality that I can buy from ebay, amzn or somewhere else that allows me to print waterproof!

I'm talking of printing on UNCOATED paper that is the most infamous in terms of water resistance.

You know being normally water based the dye ink refills that you buy everywhere from the best to lowest ones it happens that the pages printed are totally weak to water.

I would like to have a printed page that could last a cup of spilled coffee being stained by the coffee but not being completely washed away.

I know that laser printers and toner can go over this but I would know if I can do it with the inkjet dye printers too.

Some of my customers want it and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve that.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Dye-based inks are soluble in water and are not water resistant. You will need to use a Pigment Ink printer with Pigment inks that are water resistant. You can try spraying the Dye-based printed page with a spray, such as an acrylic spray, that coats and helps to seal the ink from moisture. Laminating the printed page would be another route.

A number of forum members have used sprays of one type or another. They can advise you of what they have tried and their success.

In the meantime, consider a Pigment Ink printer as your easiest and most direct route to water resistant printing.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Water will penetrate your uncoated paper as well from the back side, spraycoating the front will not really solve your problem.
You may laminate your prints instead. But why is it so important to use an uncoated paper - the gamut will be pretty limited on those with a dye inkjet printer.

Last edited:

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
But why is it so important to use an uncoated paper - the gamut will be pretty limited on those with a dye inkjet printer.
Sometimes I can't use the coated papers and gamut is not my first concern for these jobs, however I'm curious, the gamut would be better on uncoated papers if I go with a pigment based printer like a pro 9500 mk II ? thanks for the reply

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
however I'm curious, the gamut would be better on uncoated papers if I go with a pigment based printer like a pro 9500 mk II ?
Gamut involves not just the printer and its software but also the ink used, the ICC printer profile used, and the type of paper used. All of these are factors in the gamut one can measure.

The following link for a short discussion on your concern, and, a very brief introduction into the vast world of Color Management. To your question, the article states that the type of paper used is integral to the measured gamut of the print.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/color-gamut-and-color-profiles

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
No, I mean, I'm pretty aware of color knowledge, I normally profile paper, machines and inks by myself, what I'm asking is if with your experience you can achieve richer Dmax using pigment inks on uncoated matte papers and better fading resistance vs dye inks

... and maybe if there's a way to obtain a finishing effect toner like that you normally can achieve only with a laser printer.

Sometimes I even need to print a lot of stuff on plain paper, I mostly print graphics not photos.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
uncoated matte papers
It is my understanding that matte paper is lightly coated but not as much as glossy paper.

what I'm asking is if with your experience you can achieve richer Dmax using pigment inks on uncoated matte papers and better fading resistance vs dye inks
Depends on the ink, the paper, and the ICC profile. Then there is calculated vs perceived dMax.

Here are a couple of forum discussion links that may be of interest.

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=70845.0

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=80179.25;wap2

Do you have a specific paper in mind? If so, then maybe one of the forum members can advise more specifically.