UK alternative to Windex?

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello again
The ammonia I use is Household Ammonia where the bottle label shows contents as 9.5% Ammonia Solution. Bought at my Home Hardware store for 1.99 500ml. For general cleaning and windows the advice is to use 70-140mls to 5 lts cold or warm water so my home made head cleaner of 1 part ammonia to 8 parts water and 1 part alchohol is quite strong in comparison to the general cleaning mix of about 1:35. Wax stripping advises a dilution of 1:16 with a rinse after 5 mins. I am sure a lesser dilution of my mix with even less alchohol (Gin in my case although Vodka could be a cheaper alternative) will work equally as well with less risk of corrosion to any metal parts. Safety check - - If you adopt the "one for the mix" and "one for me" habit, make sure it is the alchohol you swig and not the ammonia.
Great forum
Doug

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Thanks for the feedback guys... all good info...

.. and as for the tip on which one to swig... ;)

nicredshaw

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well it worked for me ! 16:1:1 water:household ammonia:vodka - let it soak for a couple of hours and then (being an impatient sort) injected solution through the head with a syringe and a bit of tubing over the inlets.

Worked an absolute treat, so thanks !

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Found "Car Plan" windscreen washer fluid in my local Halfords. Blue colour and contains alcohol and ammonia. Works a treat either neat or diluted in cleaning blocked heads.
Doug