To MP530 or not..

speedracer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a Lexmark all in one 6170 that is on borrowed time. The one thing that I disliked the most was the cost of the Lexmark cartridges. I came across the Canon Pixma MP530 at the local Best Buy. It uses 5 tanks that seemed to lessen the cost of operation as I would only have to replace the empty one. Even these cartridges are not that inexpensive and it appears these cartridges come with chips installed and at this time there is NO chip resetting tool. I found many that offer NON OEM cartridges at a much lower price that do NOT come with the chip and the procedure given to overcome the chip makes it sound like once I do it I will never be able to use the level reporting software/function again. Is this true or is there a way to turn it back on? Is anyone working on a resetting tool so one doesn't have to turn this function off? Since it comes with a one year warranty it certainly would not be in my interest to turn it off if not able to turn on in CASE it breaks and I have to send it back in for warranty. Bottom line, someone mentioned the MP780 (now discontinued) which uses NON chipped cartridges. Would it be better to buy that one if one can be found? Is this model the MP530 worth this chip inconvenience? Has anyone had any BAD experiences with this model? I really could use any input before I buy it and find out I made a really bad decision. Thanks to everyone for their time in reading this post and their comments if given...

coronakid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Speedracer - I just posted some of my experience with the MP530 on another thread in this forum. I have pasted it here for your convenience. I hope you find it useful. I've had my printer for almost a year now and I love it. I had great success refilling my cartridges and it still prints great.

Here's my post with more thoughts:

I just ran across this forum and I was very interested in all the discussion regarding the MP530 printer. I recently refilled all five cartridges using ink refill kits and it went smoothly. The hardest part was getting those rubber balls out and it was a little messier than I would've liked. I was a little concerned regarding having to disable the ink level monitor, but the annoying pop-ups seemed to have stopped so I must've been successful in disabling it. I also set up a reminder on my computer to pull out and check the cartridges once a month which is more than adequate for the amount of printing I do. I've printed several photos and Word documents and so far I can't tell the difference.

Personally, I could care less about the warranty. From my experience, printer warranties are pretty much useless anyways since you always run into problems right after the warranty runs out. The printer only cost me $150, so I don't see the advantage in buying a second set of cartridges for $100 just to possibly maintain the warranty. It's all about what you are willing to give up to save hundreds of dollars in the long run. For me, giving up the ink level monitor function and the possible voiding of a warranty is worth saving tons of money. I really enjoy all the great insight on this forum, so keep it up.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
There is another option now. There are compatibles available WITH a chip now at Atlantic Inkjet. These have just become available, and after testing, my ink indicator works just fine in my printer. These appear to be genuine Canon cartridges, refilled and with the chip reset. The price will come down later, I'm told, as more of these become available. right now you can get them for about 30% less than retail. So..there is a chip resetter out there somewhere.....

Happy printing!!

coronakid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Manuchau said:
There is another option now. There are compatibles available WITH a chip now at Atlantic Inkjet. These have just become available, and after testing, my ink indicator works just fine in my printer. These appear to be genuine Canon cartridges, refilled and with the chip reset. The price will come down later, I'm told, as more of these become available. right now you can get them for about 30% less than retail. So..there is a chip resetter out there somewhere.....

Happy printing!!
Thanks for the awesome tip Manuchau! BTW, they also have compatible/recycled cartridges w/ chip reset that are only $6.95/$7.95 which comes out to over 60% savings! I wish I saw this site before I went out and refilled my OEM carts. Oh well, it's good to know I now have a much cheaper option in the future.