To mix carts or flush original ink out?

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
They also have much smaller quantities. You can get a bottle or syringe for just $3, which is very nice for trying.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ThrillaMozilla said:
Do you need larger than 1 liter bottles?
That 20 LITER jug looks about right! :cool:

Good link Thrilla.

Edit: Looked at their PGI-5 refill ink. It states in parentheses on the main page under "Quick Overview" that it is "pigment" but when you click on "Additional Information" it state "Ink Type: "Water Base". They need to shore up the descriptions to prevent confusion.

Still considering splitting a 20 liter jug with 39 of my closest friends.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman it state "Ink Type: "Water Base".
Dye and Pigment inks are all water based, confusion yes I myself would love if the inks were in fact oil based.

I think youve had enough of that stuff, stay away from those pesky litre bottles...:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The Hat:

Yes, the dye and pigment inks are water based. It still is an unneccesary confusion that should be avoided. At this point, I would want confirmation before purchase that the PGI-5 they are selling is all pigment and not a pigment-dye combination as some seller's have.

Thanks for looking out for my health. I see you operate under the Bikini Principle where less is more and not the Boob Hypothesis where more is better. My inclination is why choose one over the other. Slap a Leur Lock needle on top of that 20 Liter bottle and start refilling! :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stratman

The big difference in the inks on offer should be the price but both of them are priced the same.

5128_pig_black.png

I can understand why youd be suspicious; looking at them both now theres a big possibility that you could be right.
I use the German KMP pigment black which is a lot dearer that their standard dye black..

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I don't know. With HP I had to read the fine print somewhere to figure out which one was black and which one was photo black. They tend to use the same picture. Somewhere on the Web site they talk about how their pigment is encapsulated. If in doubt, I would ask.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Hey, thanks for pointing out the link for inktec-usa now has an order form.
??? I just noticed you had had some trouble with InkTec pigment ink gumming up printers. Is that problem resolved, or was it just for one cartridge? I'm a little concerned, as I had bought some InkTec ink for my HP564 cartridges (C309a Photosmart printer).

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ThrillaMozilla said:
ghwellsjr said:
Hey, thanks for pointing out the link for inktec-usa now has an order form.
??? I just noticed you had had some trouble with InkTec pigment ink gumming up printers. Is that problem resolved, or was it just for one cartridge? I'm a little concerned, as I had bought some InkTec ink for my HP564 cartridges (C309a Photosmart printer).
I don't know anything about Inktec pigment ink for any printers or cartridges other than the three Canon inks I have tested for BCI-3eBk, PGI-5Bk, and PGI-220Bk. The first two appear to be identical and to have the same clogging issue (in the waste ink pads, not in the print head). The PGI-220Bk ink is significantly different and I trust that Inktec has resolved the problem. I recently ordered a liter of that ink and am switching to it for my preferred pigment black ink. I'm also thinking about repeating my tests in a more realistic manner to what happens inside the printer but who knows when or if I'll ever get around to it?

As far as other printer types go, it's possible that their waste pads aren't suceptible to the same problem that Canon printers are and may not have the same problem, and it's also possible that they are and that the Inktec ink for PGI-220Bk would be just as good in other printers (except Epsons). I really don't know.