Strange print quality

jimsmith40

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880
Hi, have an Epson 3880 which previously printed fine but now getting a strange print. I've included the example below, Scanned print quality is at top and original image at the bottom half. Tried doing nozzle cleaning but get same print results each time. Printing from Adobe Photoshop, using Photoshop manages colors, right paper profile, reinstalled print driver, etc. Can you tell from image what the likely issue is?
Thank you
Untitled-1.jpg

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
Hi, have an Epson 3880 which previously printed fine but now getting a strange print. I've included the example below, Scanned print quality is at top and original image at the bottom half. Tried doing nozzle cleaning but get same print results each time. Printing from Adobe Photoshop, using Photoshop manages colors, right paper profile, reinstalled print driver, etc. Can you tell from image what the likely issue is?
Thank youView attachment 14996
Taking the above image at face value it looks like you are missing black inks at least. But it is difficult to make any accurate judgement remotely as there are unknown factors here such as scan quality, monitor calibration, bad profile etc.

In cases like this it is useful to use a printer test image rather than a home produced one. There are many but one I particularly like (I dont know why!) is this one:
http://www.pixl.dk/download/

The image should be brought into your editing application as is. Do not make any adjustments regardless of how it looks on screen. Just select the correct paper profile and print with decent quality settings. The image TIFF is in Adobe RGB and if brought into Photoshop there are notes showing how the print should appear.

If you get a good print out of this then the problem lies outside the printer. If it does not look good then it may be worthwhile using a different paper and its own ICC profile to eliminate issues in this area

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please let's start with a nozzle check and directly post it here