Should I Convert Wf-3540 From Pigment -> Dye Ink? Is It Safe?

troy14

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been happily printing on my WF-3540 for a few months now. I have been using Precision Colors Epson Pigment ink with inkjetcarts "RATF" "damper chip" refillable cartridges. It has been working (for the most part) great but a few headaches. The cartridges themselves seem much smaller than normal ones (the ink level on the monitor indicates carts nearly full when in fact I have to refill them!). I also had a few problems with the carts, etc. so I am going to switch to the classic auto-reset refillable cartridges (purchasing from Precision Colors).

I like the notion of using pigment ink because it's what came from the factory. I also think it looks much better when printing black text documents on the high setting. However, it is considerably more expensive than dye ink.

Would it be safe to switch to the precision color refillable cartridges (i'm really looking forward to the extra large 127 black cartridge) with DYE ink, even though I have been running pigment? Should I just stick to purchasing the empty cartridges and continue refilling with pigment ink? I have almost no black ink left and very little of the 3 colors.

Please advise, thank you!!

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I haven't done so yet because I haven't had the time to work on it, but I am planning on changing my WF 1100 (also a DuraBrite printer) to pigment black and dye colors, which is what most HP printers seem to use. So far I haven't found any reason not to do it this way.

I also still haven't completely decided what to do with the 1100. On one hand, I want a faster color printer, since the 1400 is terribly slow for large documents.

On the other hand I have considered making it either a B&W photo printer with grey inks, or filling it with gloss optimizer and using it to coat pigment-on-gloss prints from the 1400.