Sharing A Canon MP750 With My Wife's PC

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey Friends,

I'd like to share my MP750 with my wife's PC as easily as possible. We currently share the printer through the network, but my PC has to be on for her to use the printer.

I noticed the printer has a USB port and a parallel port. Can I hook up the USB port to my printer and the Parallel port to her printer for us to "share" the printer? I know this isn't the most elegant solution, and may cause conflicts if we print at the same time (which doesn't ever happen).

I do have a parallel port printer sharing device, but since I use this printer as a scanner also I need the USB 2.0 speed. BTW, I know that there are USB printer sharing devices out there, but if I can do this with stuff I already have.... BONUS!

Thanks!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Keyspan USB server (NOT their print server) may be the sort of thing you're looking for.

Not had a chance to try one but it supposedly works the way you're after.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Well, I emailed Canon support to get their take:

"Unfortunately, the configuration you have inquired about is not supported. Typically, when the USB cable is connected it will cut communication to the parallel port."

I'm not 100% convinced this is true so I may give it a try to see what happens. BTW, I really love Canon's email support.