Retrofit old Canon S600 printer with ECO-SOL or pure HOT Solvent inks?

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am looking to use a old S600 to test using ECO-SOL inks in it for permanant non-fading prints on vinyl decal materials and the such. I understand that the HOT solvents may ruin the head and other sensitive parts....but the head actually seems pretty rugged (especially since I have tried using fingernail polish remover to clean the heads and it didn't seem to hurt the heads. but definatley thinking the solvent ink will melt the sponges in the carts...so may look into the spongeless carts. there really isn't anywhere the solvent inks need to go complex except out of the nozzles or out to the purge unit and waste area. Only problem I see is the CMY nozzles may be too minute to allow passage of the pigments in solvent ink....the Black pigment nozzles would probably not have a problem. Not sure if the nozzles are different in size between the Black and the other 3 CMY colored nozzles.

has anybody attempted this yet? RIght now only HUGE expensive outdoor solvent printers use HOT SOLVENT inks...but sure would be nice to be able to do this inexpensivly with a desktop printer for making permanant outdoor decals and the such....also wouldn't be a need for $$$ coated materials to rpint too which also do not last but maybe a couple months outdoors.

Basically the HOT solvent in the inks is the vehicle to transfer the pigments to the media. basically the solvent burns into the media and takes the pigment with it. Not sure if it makes it one with the media suhc as dye-sublimation, but it is still rather long-lasting and much more permanant than dye based prints.