Resetting LC223 compatible ink cartridges

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I'm new to Brother printers, having purchased a couple of DCP-J4120DW printers on Ebay.

I've used Canon printers for several years and have been used to refilling carts and re-setting them.

I've been using refillable cartridges in the Brother printers (no sponges, like Canon)

However, I still like the idea of refilling and re-setting ink cartridges but am not willing to splash out
astronomical sums on OEM carts, and then have to fiddle about remoing outer casings etc.

So I purchased an LC223 chip resetter and a set of compatible inks.

I have only used the black cartridge so far but I have been able to reset it three times. It's a little bit more fiddly to reset the cart but eventually it resets.

These compatible carts are easier to refill than the OEM ones as you don't have to remove the outer casing.

I'm going to try the colour carts next and if they reset like the black one, then I'll use them instead of the refillable ones.

I'm not suggesting that this is an option for everyone but merely that it has worked for me with one ink cartridge.

I will report back on my experience with the colour carts

MP640

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6150
I use the Broluer (google: broluer) tool to refill original Brother cartridges. I have LC123 which have similar housing than LC223 but older chips.
The Broluer creates underpressure in the cartridge which makes it suck in the refill ink. No need to dismantle.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I use the Broluer (google: broluer) tool to refill original Brother cartridges. I have LC123 which have similar housing than LC223 but older chips.
The Broluer creates underpressure in the cartridge which makes it suck in the refill ink. No need to dismantle.

Yes, it's a great tool but it little bit expensive. Still a lot cheaper than purchasing OEM carts

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Try this tool instead, its far cheaper and you can get it at Octoinkjet.co.uk

upload_2015-3-27_10-29-13-png.2599

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
Try this tool instead, its far cheaper and you can get it at Octoinkjet.co.uk

upload_2015-3-27_10-29-13-png.2599
Can't find this on the Octoinkjet site. Is it under a different heading?

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I've found that my carts, after a while, automatically reset after refilling, without using the resetter. Black and colour. It's a bit messy though but a cheap way of refilling. I love the fact that there are no sponges in the carts and therefore no problems with air locks like with my Canon carts.

So far my experience with my 4120DW is that I have not suffered any printhead problems. No cleaning or printhead failures so far unlike my experience with Canon printers where I have had to purchase replacement printheads for several printers over the years (IP4000 and onwards)

However, Canon printers, IMO, are superior than other printers for quality prints.

I no longer use my Canon printers for non photo prints and rely on my trusty Brother printer for everything other than photos.

In my experience I've found that Brother printers are more robust than Canon equivalents but photo prints are not as good.

Using both brands suits me because I use my Brother printers for Duplex printing and my Canon printers for photos.

Brother or Canon? Both are great printers. It depends what you want to use them for.

As a rider I must explain that I have only experience of mainstream Canon printers and cannot comment on the more expensive range.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Can't find this on the Octoinkjet site. Is it under a different heading?
The "conical plastic tubes" are called "tapered needles" by Octoinkjet, so you find them under "Spares, Parts & Tools -> Syringes, needles, luer fittings" See page 2 of this for various conical plastic needles. There are also other fittings/adapters available, maybe one of these or maybe a luer slip syringe could be used to make your own "bro-luer" adapter?

Latest posts