Reseting the low ink display on Canon Pixma

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I previously have been able to reset my low ink display (not error) on my Canon MP780. (This is the same internals as the Pixma IP4000)
review2249.html

The LCD display shows a graphical (indicative) representation of how much in is remaining. I presume that it does this by calculating the number of pages/CDs it have printed.

I do know that there is a light that beams into the cartridge to actually determine when the ink catridge is empty but as i am using a CIS, this would never be activated.

So i am trying to reset it so that it shows full.

Thanks in advance.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
GLO,,.. I believe that the printer only checks the ink supply when the main cover is opened to replace the ink carts, and the ink carts are removed and replaced. Then it moves the carriage asm over to the far left where the sensor is located and does the test. It really can only see too levels, empty and something else. It the count was keeping track, the ink monitor would gradually get lower and lower andyou are right this is done by keeping track of the number of ink drops/pages.

Since you never open the covers to repace ink carts and physically take them out, and somehow it does not get the empty signal from the sensor, it will never show full again. I have a MP730 and it is basically the same,...but I don't use a CISS system. It seems me open the cover, pull out the ink carts, I fill the up and put them back, and it shows them as full.

That's about all I can tell you. Hope this helps.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The light sensor works all the time on these older unchipped printers and they can only detect a cartridge with an empty reservoir. The display will show a thin bar at the bottom indicating the cartridge is almost empty. As soon as you remove the cartridge, whether or not you put in a cartridge with a reservoir that is not empty, the display will show that the cartridge is full. After some time, the display will show the cartridge as half empty, but as soon as it detects an empty reservoir it will repeat the cycle.

So, all you have to do to reset the level indicator back to full, is put in a cartridge with an empty reservoir, close the cover and let the printer display an almost empty cartridge, then remove the cartridge and the indicator will display full (whether not you put in a full cartridge or no cartridge at all, as long as it is not empty).

But after the printer thinks that the reservoir is half empty based on the amount of printing, the display will show half full, no matter how full it is (as long as it is not empty). With a CIS, it will be a hassle to keep resetting the indicators back to full and there is no need to. The printer will be happy to continue printing forever with what it thinks is a half-full cartridge. It will never show an almost empty cartridge, unless of course, something goes wrong and a reservoir actually does go empty.

GLO

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I know when i first fitted my CIS that i was able to reset it to show full, but havent been ale to replicate it again.

I will try your steps and report back, once i have done them.