I fill my own cartridges.
I would like to avoid the cartridges with chips unless they can be
worked around
I like the Canon line with the ability to see the ink level in the
cartridges
I would go for a color laser printer IF I thought they had good
reliability, reasonable ink cost and long time between changes of
cartridges.
I saw a good deal on a Canon MP530. Is that a good choice, or a step down. If it is a step down, what do I lose?

Any suggestions?

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I can't tell you weather the MP530 is a step down from your MP750. I know I just ordered one from NewEgg for $99.00 plus $3.95 shipping, a pretty good deal. I read the reviews which were good. It has chipped caetridges as all the Canons do, but that can be worked around without problems if you keep an eye on the ink levels so the printhead doesn't burn up should a cartridge run out of ink. Haven't received it yet, so I can't report further.

Binkie

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
As far as photo quality is concerned, they are probably comparable as both have four dye-based inks plus the black pigment-based ink cart. I answered your posts on the printer NG (name is Burt) and didn't mention that when you refill and Canon stops your warranty they also disable the ink level monitor - absolutely a punative approach that can destroy your printhead unless you monitor the levels yourself and refill before the reservoir (non-sponge side) becomes empty. Even though I have all non-chipped cart printers I still visually monitor as I don't want to print until the reservoir is empty. If you refill while you still have 20% or so of ink in the reservoir the cart will take more refills before purging.

To repeat my suggestion from the printer NG - spend the time to try to clean the printhead per instructions on this forum. I'd try to keep non-chipped printers running as long as I can!

eganders

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Your post made a strong impression. I have resisted buying a new printer, because of the chipped ink cartridges.

Surprise, surprise....

I went back to the first print head I had for the MP-750 that I replaced about 6 months ago and it works now, so I replaced the new one with the old one. I guess my last cleaning efforts paid off.
Regarding the new print head with the clogged port. I have experimented with the flow for each port and there is no doubt that even after cleaning with a warm alcohol and ammonia solution, all the other ports flow well, but the clogged port does not. It flows, but much slower with the same pressure.

What is the structure of the print head? As I understand it, there is a sponge, but I have also heard some people talk about "burning out" the head. What burns out? Is there a diagram of the structure? I am suspicious that there is something else wrong here. The funny thing in all this?? I had been USING A GENUINE CANON PRINTER CARTRIDGE FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS!!!