Refilling CLI-8 and PGI-5 cartridges

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,

I just modified my cartridges with the 8-32 nylon screws and rubber o-rings (the exact same ones as used in the article on the nifty stuff home page -> I ordered them from Tacoma Screw).

They work fine, but when I print a CD I get a click noise as the carriage returns. It prints the CD fine, but it sounds like the screw heads are hitting something - maybe the carriage raises to print a CD?

Anyone else have this?

Again, it prints fine, but it does bother me so when I get more time I'm going to investigate - maybe it just needs a little creative use of a file or something?

Thanks!

Steve

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I took a little time to investigate the cause of the noise when printing CDs. I found the cartridge cover switch on the right front of the unit and held it down while I printed a CD. The head does indeed lift when it prints a CD and the tops of the screws are -just- touching as they go past the molded plastic casing that forms a lip around the center area that's exposed when you open the cover to expose the cartridges.

Tomorrow I'll take a little time and trim that plastic - I'll post back how it goes.

Beyond that annoying click when I print a CD I'm LIKING the nylon screw/o-ring fill hole sealing method! What an easy thing to do! The original sealing hole is a nice fit for the tap so it's easy to tap straight and once it's done it makes filling sooooo easy!!!

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well I took a little time to see if I could trim the offending plastic from the case that was hitting my nylon screw heads . . . yep, that was it and it was an easy fix - by watching the carriage return to the right side when I pushed the cover open switch down (to make it think the cover was closed) I could see right where the heads were hitting and I marked that area with a marker. I opened the case to center the carriage and then removed the power cord. Then I put some paper towels in beside the carriage on either side to catch any pieces plastic that may fall down. Then I used my Dremel tool with a round barrel shaped attachement that has course sand paper on it and just routed up in that area with it. Though not overly pretty, it worked fine. The plastic more melted than flew so I'm sure I got the majority of the debris - most of it just melted into a hunk and stayed on the plastic lip I was grinding on so I just reached in and pulled it off by hand, the smaller pieces just fell into the paper towel. The melting plastic didn't even plug up the sand paper on the attachement!

Now I AM a happy camper! I got those nice nylon screws to plug my refill holes and no odd noises from my printer when printing CDs!

If anyone else has this problem I'm sure you can easily see where to grind, but if you are unsure just drop a note back to the list and I'll snap a picture of mine for ya.

GREAT forum - thanks guys!

Steve