Refilling Canon BCI-3 Series Cartridge

Doug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have recently cleaned a few of my used Canon BCI-3 Series Cartridges employing Grandads method. I have already placed the flat top screws with o rings in them and all this has led me to a question. To employ the reverse flush method I pulled off all the tape that was on top of the cartridge so the old ink could get escape.

I am now wondering what if anything must be done regarding the area where the tape was removed. There is now an exposed vent over the sponge area with a circuitous path leading to it.

If this area must be re-taped, what is the best type of tape to use?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
OEM carts and most of the aftermarket carts have the vent hole and most of the channel covered, with only the last turn of the channel uncovered. This lets air enter the cart as ink is used to prevent negative pressure which would stop the ink from feeding. Covering the vent hole minimizes evaporation over a period of time that would increase the viscosity of ink and cause difficulty in feeding. I do have some carts that, when I backflushed them, had the tape come off the vent area. On some of them I left the tape off and they worked just fine. You are probably safer retaping, but be sure to leave the end of the vent maze open. Any tape will work, but be sure you don't press it down in a way to block the channel.

Doug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
fotofreek,

Excellent explanation!!!

Thanks