Recommend all in one

Ranger2644

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Could you recommend an all in one that I can refill and that I can find available for sale, please? I don't do a lot of printing, mainly black & white but I would like to have the color option for occasional reports, etc. I usually do not print photos. I do need a scanner & copier. I would like to spend under $150 (is this a reasonalbe price target?)

I would like something that is not chipped and can be refilled with ink or has economical refills available. I have done this in the past with some success though my current Lexmark X75 is ready to die as I can't seem to unclog the thing.

I have read many of the posts so as not to waste anyone's time but have been unsuccessful finding the recommended printers. I have searched for the MP780 with no success. It is out of stock everywhere except ebay and I am not sure about the quality of the seller there.

Any other recommendations? I was looking at the Lexmark P4350 at walmart. it uses the 31,32,or 33 cartridges. Can they be refilled?

I appreciate any guidance that you could give me!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Do a search on the Canon MP780 on here and on google (with "review" keyword).

No point in resaying what I and many others have said before but you're going to have to hurry to get one as the remaining stock is now being sold off.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Ranger 2644,

I will tell you that if you can get a Canon MP780, it will meet your needs for a very long time to come. I happened to get a bargain some time ago in the form of a refurbished MP730.
Which is sort of a one generation back MP780 without the photoblack cartridge. Its a very rugged printer that will print, fax, and scan with or without a PC. If you need no fax, the MP750 would do as well and the MP760 would be even better as it has the best scanner of the three. But of the MP750, MP760, and MP 780 by in large only the MP780 is still reasonably available.---call all your local office supply places to see if they still have one sitting under the shelf---best bet Fry's electronics or Staples. Failing that try ebay---but don't be afraid of refurbished--but new and used with the full year warranty is better---gage reliability of seller by their feedback percentage--above 99% is great.

But on ebay, you will still pay at least $200.00 after shipping for a MP780--worth it in my mind but maybe not yours. So also consider some of the nonchipped Canon multifuntionals based on the ip1500 printer engine---these include the MP130. MP360, MP370, and the MP390---these take the BCI-24 cartridge line--which are refillable but are too small to be worth refilling in my mind---but since you can buy prefilled third party cartridges for these printers on the internet at about a $1.00 each---it might fit your needs---and checking ebay I spotted one for $71.00 new and unopened.

But you said something that puzzles me anout your Lexmark X75--you can't get it unclogged--with a Lexmark you get a new printhead on each new cartridge you buy--unless some other part of the X75 is dying, the remidy for a clog is replace the cartridge. But as a general comment, Lexmark is the number 1 brand if you just love to get gouged on pricey cartridges. And from what I hear, Lexmark is about the hardest cartridges to refill with any reasonable sucess rate--and nearly all new inkjet printer is now protected by some chipping scheme or another-----lone exception is now the brother inkjets in multi-funtional form---lots of machine for the money---but lots of negative reports on output quality and longjevity.

In contrast, the MP780 which uses the BCI-3&6 cartridges is super easy to refill--and is also super rugged---will last for years and years---and less than $40.00 invested in a refill kit and extra ink will keep you from spending another dime--other than on paper--for years also.

Why get a chipped Canon when you can still find unchipped ones?