Quick question: should I register my printer?

alexzxz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Canon 5220. Should I register it? Do I have to? Do I need it for warranty? I'd rather not be tracked by Canon. (puts on tinfoil hat)

geoffuk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hi ,
I've never bothered as they are throw away things when it all goes wrong..canons back to base is a waste of time if you have a problem with and inexpensive printer, as its more money to post it back than buy a new one with new ink + you get to play with new printer( to be taken as a five year old let loose in a sweet/candy shop) best geoffuk

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
alexzxz said:
I have a Canon 5220. Should I register it? Do I have to? Do I need it for warranty? I'd rather not be tracked by Canon. (puts on tinfoil hat)
No. You can keep your tinfoil hat on if your proof of purchase receipt is safely stored for possible future need.

However, registering, or at least making a technical service call to Canon for each Canon product you have, motivates Canon to consider you a "loyal" customer which has benefited some people beyond their warranty period. It is a dog-eat-dog market in the printer world with plenty of competition, so Canon wants to retain you loyalty (ie your money).

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Registering does have some benefit. When I had a problem this past January with my Pro9000 Mk II which appeared to be a faulty printhead, I called Canon, explained that the printer was bought new but from a local person who got it as part of a camera/printer purchase, had not registered it, but that I had it less than a year, they agreed to send me a replacement printhead for free. Why? Maybe because I had registered several previous Canon printers, two Canon scanners, a Canon video camera and let them know I had just bought a Canon T1i camera. A loyal Canon user? Maybe. I don't see Canon tracking me. Don't even get many e-mails from them.

Steve W.

geoffuk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@ on30trainman
i can go with most of what you say but it is a high buck (comparatively) printer!! i,m sure if i tried that with my new ip3600 they,d laugh!!! 60-00...against 350--00

that said, glad you had a result..i dont think heads are cheap for 9000's..best regards geoffuk

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
All you need for warranty service is your sales receipt.

I actually sold a NIB i9900 printer through eBay and when the guy went to install it, the print head was defective. Fortunately it still had a couple weeks left on the one year warranty which Canon honored even though the sales slip was not for the original purchaser.