Keith Cooper

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P5000
I've now finished my main PRO-200 review

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-pro-200-printer-review/

and made a video to go with it.

I've still got the PRO-200 and 300 here if anyone has any questions I might have missed in the review? I've a few more articles and videos to go with them - hope they're of interest.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Canon is claiming an improved gamut in the red and blue range of the Pro-200 over the Pro-100, do your profiles support that claim - are those improvements just small/incremental or wider that they could even be a purchase or upgrade reason from the Pro-100 to the Pro-200 ?

Keith Cooper

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P5000
Canon is claiming an improved gamut in the red and blue range of the Pro-200 over the Pro-100, do your profiles support that claim - are those improvements just small/incremental or wider that they could even be a purchase or upgrade reason from the Pro-100 to the Pro-200 ?
no idea really - I don't have any profiles from when I tested the pro-100 several years ago.

Personally, my best reasons to ditch a 100 are its paper/margin limits and usability - of all printers I've tested in the last 10 years it's the one I disliked the most ;-) That made my 200 testing much more interesting. It's gone from a printer I'd give away to one I'd keep.

There may well be differences, but I'm not expecting many people to spot the difference... B&W seems better than I remember..

Edit:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Great review, Keith. Thanks.

The weight has gone down from the 19.7kg of the PRO-100 to 14.1kg
Canon appears to adhere to the school of "Less Is More". I've not been encouraged by some of the weight-saving changes Canon has done over the years. Where do you think they are shaving off the kilos?

With the variability in drying times, I prefer to leave target for several hours to dry – overnight is my preference.
How does Mrs. Cooper feel about the overnight guests on her couch? :hide

Keith Cooper

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P5000
Less steel girders - not as obviously as Epson have done with the 700/900
It still feels very solid, but I've not taken any of the printers apart.

That would be my sofa - hers is across the room ;-) The prints usually end up reappearing up in my office...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:thumbsup

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I did a check with the Pro-200 C and M inks and compared them to the Epson 106 inks of the ET-7750 and created some profiles, I'm running both inks in a WF2010W with the same driver settings on the same papers - a HP Premium Plus Photo Paper, a Glossy 240 PE/RC paper and the Aldi/Netbit glossy paper. The WF2010W is the test bed for me for lots of my ink tests, this printer has probably seen 50 or more inks - dye and pigment and is still up and running, and swapping inks via refill is easy.

Gamut 1.jpg

The red line shows the gamut at L=50 for the Epson ink, the yellow line for the Canon Chromalife ink, both show a very similar gamut overall, with a slightly wider extension of the yellow/Canon line in the red-magenta range, these are the gamuts on the HP paper, they look very similar on the other two papers as well , I don't show them, the just clutter up the image.

Canon is mentioning improvements in the red and blue range - which are not colors of inks in use in the Pro-100/200 printers. Canon probably found some way to modify the dithering algorithm how the C and M inks are dithered and placed onto the paper gaining some more color saturation for the mixed colors red and blue, this would imply that the chemistry of the dyes has not been changed, and the benefit from this dithering/firmware/driver change would not show up on any other printer not using these routines. And this could explain why Canon is not mentioning any improvement for the C and M inks.

Last edited: