Printing on wood...

Dodgy Geezer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to print model aircraft and boat plans straight onto balsa wood using an Epson RX700.

The RX700 has a CD/DVD printing capability, which works by mounting the disk in a long plastic slide about 4 inches wide and 15 inches long, which slides into a slot in the front of the machine. Then you use a CD Printing utility to specify the image to be printed, and away you go.

Unfortunately, the utility won't allow anything to be printed outside the disc boundary, and when I try to print an A4 page with the slide inserted it flags an error and says 'remove slide before printing'.

Does anyone know if you can print outside the disk boundary, and, ideally, if you can print on a sheet of balsa wood placed in the slot?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Why don't you use special paper for iron transfer ?

vtjet

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm interested in the same thing, though I haven't bought a printer yet.

Using an iron-on requires a hot iron physical application of a second step and expensive transfer media.

The whole idea here is to have the printer apply the graphics and be done with it, for the cost of the ink alone.

So an answer to the question would be great. Thanks.

ps. One question I have is, is the limit of where it will print imposed by driver software running on the computer, or is it built in firmware in the printer?

If the former, then it may be possible to use an alternative driver -- I use Linux drivers for my printers, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to achieve something that way?

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a suggestion:
One way I've found of keeping the kids amused (for about 10 minutes anyway..) is to let them create their own tattos which are printed onto special tattoo paper. The designs transfer to the skin using water only, and actually look quite impressive. It wears off in a few days (or will wash off cleanly if need be). Might be worth a try. If it transfers ok to wood, it would obviously need a coat of laquer or something to render it more permanent.

Best,
Ed.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You also can print on clear plastic labels, then trim them to fit later. I would think that balsa wood is just too flimsy to run through a printer with a moving printhead. You might want to check out printers with a fixed printhead, which will be the next great leap forward in inkjet printing.
Check this out...I haven't been there for a while, but see the future now

http://www.memjet.com/

bobertofalls

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
water transfer paper works I used it for motorbike graphics and lacquered over the top for an air brush finish to cut few corners

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I have heard of engineering types being able to re-engineer C84's or similar into a custom setup that handles things like printing directly onto material so wood would also be possible. However as I understand it, the level of technical competence required to resolve issues like case removal, custom feed mechanism, re-site-ing of sensors, etc... means you need an expert.

Doubtless there's someone out there who is a gifted amateur with time, money and patience to spare but it's a hell of a learning curve either way.

choco_late

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think printing on clear plastic sticker will do the trick. But if that were me, I'd paint whatever image or logo or text I'd want on my model airplane or boat. That was how my grandfather, who was into the same hobby, did it years ago.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Below is a link of a topic in another forum how to modify printers to be able to print straight on PCB boards. There is some modifying involved, and the best thing you could do is get a used epson C86 or so, as they are easy to modify. The link starts at page one, but it is at least 100 pages long, and somewhere inbetween there are a few topics wit pictures how to modify epsons C-series, but I forgot the page numbers.
You can find some modified printers on YOUTUBE, search for " PCB inkjet printer ", but the C-mods in the link are much better, as they only take some screws to adjust.

HERE is the link.