printing misalignment

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
printing on 4x6 using the windows photo wizard (not borderless) the photo is not centered. the lead edge has a 2mm border, trailing edge has a 5mm border, left edge 4mm border and the right edge has a 2mm border, how do you adjust for a proper alignemnet also if you select glossy paper do you still need to select print quality as high i would assume once you select a gloss paper the setting should automaticly set the quality for high

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mrelmo
The photo wizard is a bit of a mystery to me but I would suggest you just select borderless and then your photo
will be centred all round, it may not be what you wanted but it does the job right.

When selecting photo paper the printer usually sets the print quality for you and it doesnt usually select high quality,
unless you are using photo glossy plus paper, then high is used ok..

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
right i used the borderless and it fills nicely, however i still go in and select high for the quality, i would think it should do it on it's own

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Please consider updating your profile with location, printer(s), and info relevant to refilling, such as ink, carts used, method of refilling, etc.

With Canon printers, the print-driver tends to have an option to "Center Image" and "Scale to Fit Media" ... at least that is the case with my printers.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mrelmo right i used the borderless and it fills nicely, however i still go in and select high for the quality, i would think it should do it on it's own
The printer driver will decide which quality mode is best for the paper you choose and as I said
in the earlier thread the driver is the best judge at which mode is most suitable for the media chosen.

You can however and you do, override the default settings but it wont print any better,
it will in fact just take longer to print and use a little more ink..

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
You can however and you do, override the default settings but it wont print any better, it will in fact just take longer to print and use a little more ink..
Just to add something to "The Hat"'s comment ... with whom I agree. I haven't noticed any quality difference between Standard and High Quality, other than the speed. However, there can be an advantage of slowing down the printer ... give a bit more drying time between prints if they are stacking up on top of each other and you notice traces of ink from the lower print on the back of the print on top of it.

Also, I think if your printer is at the limit of how much ink can get to the nozzles from the cart, High Quality makes the demands on the cart through the sponge/foam/filter a bit less. I think this could happen if you were printing something that had large areas of a specific color such as a yellow house that the print-driver decided to use a single cart color for. It takes time for ink to migrate from the reservoir side through the sponge side to eventually get to the nozzles.

The slower high quality setting might lessen the possibility of "ink starvation" (or ghwellsjr has a different descriptive term ... "ink flow problem" ).

I speculate that if we could get a guided tour of the logic in a print-driver, we'd be amazed at all the factors they take into account. I wouldn't be amazed if they can detect and adjust if a single tank color was being hammered to excess. Something like ... "if the ink droplet count for this nozzle group C is greater than X for the past Y milliseconds, then throttle back by a factor of Z."

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i believe high quality setting only prints in one direction not bi-directional that would cause a slower print speed, a 4x6 takes approx. 75 sec. so a little later i will print the same picture and see if there is a noticable difference in quality and what the time duration is. i am using OEM canon cartridges that i have been refilling with precisions inks for several years now and i have never had an ink starvation issue. results shortly

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok after printing, the photo with high quality took 85 sec to print a 4x6, the standard took 57 sec and the difference that i can see are greener greens if someone can tell me at what resolution to scan these i will scan them side by side and post them, i also don't know if there is a size limit to upload at

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
hmmmm after letting the prints fully dry i am having a difficult time seeing any noticable difference i'm no photo expert but i am quite happy with the results a new question is what is the fad resistance on the kirkland paper, oh yeah the printer is a ip4200 at some time i will have to switch to a mp 560 that i have in storage, because it is a wireless all in one

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
mrelmo said:
ok after printing, the photo with high quality took 85 sec to print a 4x6, the standard took 57 sec
For me, valid timings are several prints. There can be quite a bit of overhead for the first print (such as clean/purge), and subsequent prints can often happen faster. I'll set the MediaType to what I'd use for the photo paper, but use plain copy paper instead. Then make 5 to 10 or so. If you really want to be thorough, time the "delta" for each. It will typically vary.

I generally use one of the Kodak-like test prints as a known reference point base-line for such timings.

My observation with letter sized 8.5x11" prints is that the first print is slow, the second thru fifth or so go faster, then a clean/purge cycle may be triggered due to ink droplet count thresholds, then the next several go faster. This will vary with a 4x6" which is about 25% of a size of a letter size 8.5x11" .... there might not be any clean/purge cycles with such small prints.