Printhead problem with Canon Pixma 4000

~PJ~

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printhead expired on above [as per 11 flashes of orange light].
Acquired new printhead.
The new printhead duly arrived and it installed and worked... with one problem.
This printer has five ink tanks; 6Bk, 6Y, 6M and 6C for graphics; and a larger one - 3eBk - for text. The latter is not printing at all. Ink is getting to the printhead, and there are traces on the print surface of the ink - but it isn't printing. Not just a patchy print which would be cured by head cleaning / new cartridge [although I tried these - lots] but nothing.
After a lot of mucking around, I remembered that a friend has the identical printer, so I borrowed his printhead. Exactly the same. New printer time, which wasn't a problem. However... when I put the printhead back into his machine... no black text. ie. exactly the same as both the head and his head were doing in mine. It's like a 'no black text' virus has been passed from one printer to the other, which is highly embarassing, and probably expensive.
Has anyone seen this before? Is there some kind of reset code I need? I've taken the printhead out of my printer, and the previous two Pixmas, to soak the heads in warm water, and they've always gone back in again without any problems.
TIA