Printhead Cleaning Solution(s)

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has tried or has knowledge of this gentleman's products ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130272256614

I saw an independent, favorable report on Rocket (for Epson) on another site.
The report was concerning only one successful unclog on a R320 (cyan) I believe, by a long-time forum member.
It wasn't spam.

Another member is going to true the "blue" grade this weekend, also on a R320

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Well if you want to pay so much for a bottle of distilled water and few drops of ammonia then perhaps some alcohol you are really rich person.

Unless somebody post the composition that is contains some sort of rare chemical that does the magic trick I’m not going into believing this stuff is any better than that you can make yourself.

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The purveyor poo-poos the use of Windex (ammonia) and alcohol in his spiel.
I believe that he also says that he buys in one liter containers from Epson (and re-packages).

The user reports that the substance (Rocket) smells of ammonia and "paint solvent"

Edit:
Success with the "blue" formula (middle strength).
R320 with both cyan and yellow clogged.
User reported the printer had been sitting clogged for 4 months.
A 30 minute soak was used.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi.
I have just added this to my previous post asking about UK alternatives for Windex which may be of interest to anyone about to spend a fortune on head cleaning solutions. Made my own solution as follows :- 1 part ammonia (household ammonia from local Hardware store) 8 parts de ionised water (From car parts shop) and due to unavailability of isopropyl alcohol 1 part Gin.Works atreat and cleared a blocked head from a Canon i850 that has lain in a printer last used 2 years ago and stored with no precautions. Steeped the head overnight then blew it through with a compressed air can from the cartridge side of the head. Prints like new again.
Doug

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Your formula (less the ammonia) would clear my head, too! I think you might try a bit less ammonia and see if it works as well. Windex has a very small amount - almost just enough for the odor - as it doesn't even appear in the MSDS.

Gooneybird

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just another thought. Since I don't know where you live, but drug stores here in the US carry isopropanol under the generic name of Rubbing Alcohol. It's at the normal strength of 65%, but many also carry the same alcohol at 90%. Either one is perfectly suitable. Also, I agree using that much ammonia (20%) is a bit excessive, but if it works and you can tolerate the odor - guess it's ok.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a small point is that the ammonia I use is "Household Ammonia" which is supplied in a 500ml bottle diluted to 9.5% and not the neat 100% concentrated stuff that could possibly be obtained through a pharmacy. Diluting this Household Ammonia in my formula with a further 9 parts liquid (water plus alchohol) gives a total ammonia dilution of around 1% equivalent to a full strength ammonia dilution with water of 1:100. I would say this is a weak enough solution to provide an active head cleaner without the risk of corrosion. If my maths is wrong I remain to be corrected but this is my understanding of it and best of all it works.
Doug

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
dougsewell said:
Just a small point is that the ammonia I use is "Household Ammonia" which is supplied in a 500ml bottle diluted to 9.5% and not the neat 100% concentrated stuff that could possibly be obtained through a pharmacy. Diluting this Household Ammonia in my formula with a further 9 parts liquid (water plus alchohol) gives a total ammonia dilution of around 1% equivalent to a full strength ammonia dilution with water of 1:100. I would say this is a weak enough solution to provide an active head cleaner without the risk of corrosion. If my maths is wrong I remain to be corrected but this is my understanding of it and best of all it works.
Doug
Well I use 10% amonia obtained through a pharmacy. Doubt you can get 100% it would kill you, if you inhale it.
I use 1ml ammonia in 25ml syringe to do a cleaning. Always start with less I say then increase the strenght if need be.

Arfer Daley

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i know this is an old post just like too say my printer stopped printing yellow i read thru some posts here and as it was late at night(fri) and i needed too get some color prints done i pinched some distilled water that the wife uses for ironing grabbed a syringe stripped the outer cover off an old usb lead removed the six ciss cartridges done the paper towel trick under the print head forced the little tube i had made earlier from usb outer plastic cover buzzed 2ml of distilled water thru the six printhead nozzels also where the printhead parks i diluted the sponge a few times sucking up the black mess with a paper towel and left over night
in the morning reinstalled cartridges plugged in fired up done a couple head clean cycles and all is now working ok again desperate measures for desperate times it was a bank holiday weekend after all old engineers never die they just get on and do it lol i had a stroke of luck going by what i read here