PrintFab RIP for Mac

Digital10d

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In a previous thread 'Smile' mentioned this RIP. Anyway being a curious sort went to investigate. Website http://www.printfab.net/ There is a free 30 day trial so thought it was worth a look see.

Background - I'm on a Mac OSX 10.6 using Photoshop CS (CS1/8) and printing IP4700 and Epson R2400. Now since upgrading from my G4/Tiger OS I have been hit with a lot of colour management problems. Photoshop CS apparently is not compatible with Snow Leopard but for me it works. The Canon driver has no way of turning off colour management for profiling purposes. The Epson driver does but mine seems to be broken. Just trying to profile new papers/ink is a mess with all sorts of workarounds. Could the answer be this RIP ?

Very early days but the signs are very encouraging. The RIP gives you a lot of control and will need some experimenting to get the best out of it. The manual is readable and the software interface is well laid out. I was able to print an untagged profile target from CS like I used to and for the first time this week I think it looks correct. Inks limits can be set which is very useful because I think the Canon driver puts a little to much ink down. Colour profiles can be generated from the software and measured by them for a fee or you can create your own and import the ICC profile.

Further reading discovered that the driver has two greyscale settings. Greyscale and Grey Photo. The Greyscale setting ONLY uses the black ink unlike the Canon driver with uses all. Grey Photo uses all inks. So I printed my BW teat chart using the Greyscale and YES it does only use one ink. Totally neutral. No colour. Absolutely brilliant. Simple true B&W on a Canon !!!! With the other setting I think it would be possible to adjust the CMY inks to a minimum setting and increase the black to produce a smoother B&W with little colour imbalance. Early days only been playing with this RIP for a morning but I think there could be all sorts of possibilities. I have ordered Mikling's 4 black ink set and I think this RIP could control them better than the Canon driver.

So far it looks good and for a RIP not too expensive.