Print server compatibility

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Here's a few nuggets for you folks because I've recently had to find this information out the hard way..

Put simply.. Canon are a pain in the backside when it comes to printservers because they just aren't compatible with most printservers.. Something apparently to do with the way they communicate with the machine sending the print job that can only be handled over the USB/parrallel cable.

Unfortunately this information is not readily available and in truth I'm still not completely sure as to whether it's fact or I just dreamed it.. What I do know however is that my iP4200 will not talk to my jetdirect en3700 printserver and yet Epson printers like my C84, C86 and D88 printers are happily chuntering away as if they hadn't a care in the world.

At the moment I'm hoping that I can resolve my problem by some empiric testing so over the next few days/weeks you should start seeing some testing reports on the following units:

- Keyspan USB server
- Silex printservers (possibly the 6100U and 6200U units if they'll let me try them out)
- Silex USB server (range again to choose from).

With a little luck they might even let me do some specific testing without having to buy every single unit but we'll see..

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Does anyone have any experience with the Canon iP4000R? It is just like the iP4000 except that it also has a WiFi interface so that you don't have to plug it into a computer. I presume that it acts like a print server. I just recommended it to someone. I hope I didn't make a mistake. I don't even know where you can buy one but it would be good to know if it works like it should in case one shows up for sale somewhere.