Print borderless absorbtion pad counters

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
A question about how canon printers handle the borderless settings in terms of counters, based on your experience.

If I select borderless generally the extra ink is absorbed by the absorbtion pads.

Given that it means that a printer will be able to do a certain number of prints until the pads will be full.

1) What will happen next? The printer show a generic B200 error asking to be serviced?

2) There's a counter like the waste ink for that? Do the print content matter? For example a full black page will increment the counter more fastly than a grey one compared to a white page that is supposed to don't increment this value at all? or it's just an integer counter that each time you pick borderless will increment of one unit so that if you print 5000 white borderless sheets will be maxed out?

Do the borderless option contribute to the main waste counter instead?

Playing with the canon service tools utilities did you discovered anything interesting on this matter?

Thanks for the replies

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If I select borderless generally the extra ink is absorbed by the absorbtion pads.
Do the borderless option contribute to the main waste counter instead?

Borderless prints add Feck all to the ink absorber pads, but what it does do is to cover the platen area of the printer with waste ink that ends up on the underside of your prints..
Playing with the canon service tools utilities did you discovered anything interesting on this matter?

The Service Tool utility is not a play toy and shouldn’t be used as one, if you use it incorrectly it will render your printer useless… Ask specific questions before changing anything.. So be warned..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but we can guess the answer with some confidence.

Canon has an algorithm to determine ink used during purging. They tell you volumes purged for various maintenance functions in the Service Manuals of old. This equation is undoubtedly utilized to help determine when the the waste ink diapers are full.

If the algorothm did not take into account coverage on each printed page then I would expect reports from heavy use customers about ink overflowing from their printer's case. Instead, we have have reports that refer to your question from people that keep watch on their waste ink counter. It appears that it is not just use but how much use and the coverage of ink that determine rate of filling up the waste ink pads.

The following two images are from the Canon MP830 Service Manual. You can see that Cannon knows how many passes occur for a specific Paper Type for both Normal printing and Borderless printing. Canon obviously has an idea of quantity of ink oversprayed for Borderless prints. If the above premise about normal border images is correct then you can bet your bippy that Canon can and does factor in all relevant ink wastage regardless of border or borderless. (As The Hat said, the overspray sprays onto a different pad and may not be significant as far as the waste ink counter matters)

It makes sense from a fiscal sense as well - fewer calls to Canon complaining.

In general, I wouldn't let concerns about the waste ink tank interferring in the enjoyment of your printer. It is what it is.

Normal Border Prints

Normal Printing.jpg

Borderless Prints

Borderless.jpg

user5800

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro9500 MkII
The Service Tool utility is not a play toy and shouldn’t be used as one, if you use it incorrectly it will render your printer useless… Ask specific questions before changing anything.. So be warned..
I'm not telling that I used the service utility randomly. I asked if you guys investigated it with utilities like the service tool and discovered something like for example a specific "absorber ink pad counter".

So these pads can be cleaned without having to also reset some counters? Interesting, any of you guys did it in past?

There are on the internet some photos of them to get a grasp of how they are shaped and a suggested procedure to clean them? (maybe alcohol or dish soap?)

Last edited: