Poor Quality Prints from Canon MP500

pbjabba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Just bought myself a Canon MP500 printer after seeing many glowing reviews for it online, only to find that the quality of prints is rubbish. I'm not sure if i've bought a bad model or there is just something wrong with mine. The quality is worse than my two year old, $99 printer. The test patterns are streaky and speckldy, even after nozzle checks and clening cycles. What do you guys recommend i do? Go back to the store and try a replacement? I'm sure the MP500 is NOT a bad printer, just there is something wrong with mine. Any help would be appreicated

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Could you post a scan of the nozzle check print ?

pbjabba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well i figured my printer had a defect, so i went back to the store and got it exchanged for another mp500..... and the output looks exactly the same. Is it possible there is something wrong with the settings on my PC???

Here the nozzle check:
noz1.jpg

I'll post a scan of a print a while...

pbjabba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey, i've tried cleaning and deep cleaning.. still no better. On the nozzle check the rectangles on the left are bleeding out and theres a few line going through the colour stripes. Anyway heres a pic i printed yesterday with the old one and today with the replacement... still no difference.

car1.jpg

You can see the stripes pretty clearly in the black, and speckles on the front bumper

pbjabba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Me again... sorry for the bombardment of posts. Another example of my problem is the head alignment page. I would think that at least 1 box in each column would be solid. Heres a scan

head1.jpg

Only the light cyan and magenta have solid boxes, +2

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hi pbjabba, welcome to the forum!

First off... you should upload your images here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36

Then edit your posts so the images work.

Regarding your issue: If your second one is a new printer, new cartridges, and a new printer cable then there is a 99.99% chance it is an issue with your PC. If you've tried a bunch of different settings and printing from different programs you could always bring the printer to a friend's house and plug it in / test it.

pbjabba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Damn.. my pics don't work?? they show up on my computer. I'll edit them later. I tested the printer on my sisters' laptop and it did the same. The computer seems to be set up alright. After talking to a guy at the print station where we bought it he suggested we try different paper as the type we were using was crap apparently (the paper was actually the stores own brand!!). I got home and tried a photo print on the sample paper which came with the printer and it worked fantastically! So i guess it's a paper problem, i'm gonna buy so decent office paper for normal pics tomorrow, maybe some Reflex stuff.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
pbjabba said:
After talking to a guy at the print station where we bought it he suggested we try different paper as the type we were using was crap apparently (the paper was actually the stores own brand!!). I got home and tried a photo print on the sample paper which came with the printer and it worked fantastically! So i guess it's a paper problem, i'm gonna buy so decent office paper for normal pics tomorrow, maybe some Reflex stuff.
Shoot... didn't get in there fast enough...

The paper would have been my suggestion but you've got it sorted so that's good.. :)

For your own info, I've found that 90gsm (slightly heavier than photocopy standard) paper works really well for good quality prints without having to resort to photopaper.

Oh and just one other thought, were this to happen to anyone else and they returned the unit, worth being sure that they printhead is new too... Was wondering whether the store had just swapped the printhead into a new unit for a while there.

pbjabba

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I bought some different paper, 80gsm Canon branded stuff. This seems to work heaps better :D

websnail said:
Oh and just one other thought, were this to happen to anyone else and they returned the unit, worth being sure that they printhead is new too... Was wondering whether the store had just swapped the printhead into a new unit for a while there.
When we initially thought the printhead was faulty they exchanged our printer for another one, so the printhead was completely new, sealed in the box. So if there was a problem with the printhead it would have been fine now

kabster

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
pbjabba said:
Thanks for the reply. I bought some different paper, 80gsm Canon branded stuff. This seems to work heaps better :D

websnail said:
When we initially thought the printhead was faulty they exchanged our printer for another one, so the printhead was completely new, sealed in the box. So if there was a problem with the printhead it would have been fine now
OMG PJABABA,

I have had the very same annoyance whit this printer!! Those white/lighter bands in your image, i have had those too in my printouts!!! Only when i printed on high setting i coud get rid of those bands!!! but in draf or even normal model i got the same terrible results :(

More over , it sucks u needed to solve this by purchasing expensive canon paper damn to solve this matter! Never crossed my mind to try that!! But using paper other than canon shouldnt give us such an wurse quality on normal quality mode no less :(.

kabster,