Please recommend a straight paper path Inkjet printer

vtjet

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I need an inkjet printer with a straight paper path feature, so that I can occasionally print on thick materials - 1/32" or about .7 mm thick balsa

It needs to at least:

print color @ least 600 dpi -- (color graphics, but not necessarily photo quality)
print reasonably fast in color
be well built and reliable
be inexpensive -- refurb is okay
be suitable for refilling my own carts ( I already do this with my present Canon printer)

I currently own an Epson 1280 and a Canon S600. But neither has a straight path, so I can't use them for this.

I love the Canon -- it has been absolutely reliable for 8 years now under daily use -- I refill carts (BCI-3e) and have gone through probably a liter of each color, at least. If my Canon had a straight through path, I wouldn't need another printer.

I don't like the Epson as much. I use it only for printing B/W CAD dwgs because of it's large format capabilities.

The new straight path printer I want will actually be for printing on 1/32" balsa. See here for an example of this kind of thing, using an HP 1120c:

http://www.parmodels.com/Printed Balsa/Printed_Balsa.htm

So any recommendations? I am having difficulty determining what printers have straight through paths and handle thick material.

I've seen some specs on the Epson Stylus Photo 960 that say it will take 1.3 mm stock in a straight paper path. But I don't necessarily need a 7 ink printer if there is something more economical to refill out there. Is the Epson 960 refillable?

Thanks!

vtjet

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well no answers so far, but I've spent a day researching and the following seem capable of printing on thick media:

Epson Stylus Photo 900 and 960
HP 1120c
Canon Pro 9000
Epson 3800

I have found all of the above available only used, but most are local enough so I that I can look at them before buying.

The closest and most expensive is the Canon 9000. It's $250, low usage, comes with complete carts and extra carts, original box, software etc. The guy only used Canon ink and is a pro photographer using color matching charts..

I would consider buying this one and selling my Epson 1280 -- I've put exactly 3 black carts through the Epson and one color cart since new -- all Epson OEM. I actually used up the color cart in cleanings! I think if I sell it I should be able to get back most of the cost of the Canon.

The HP1120c is available for $25 and I know it would work for this application -- the link above shows it being used that way. Probably slow though. Not very exciting. Definitely getting on in years. And my past experiences with HP support have been miserable.

The Epson photo 960 is probably going to be $80-90 with shipping, and not local. So, risky and not really a bargain.

I haven't found any Epson photo 900s. And haven't looked for the 3800 yet -- I assume it's pretty high end.

I'm leaning toward the Canon, even though it is more printer than I need. But it would be nice to have its photo capabilities. I would definitely also use it for 12x18 cad dwgs to replace the 1280 if I sell that.

Any recommendations or other printers I should consider?