Pigment ink in the Epson R200 series

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
How many of you have had a good experience using pigment ink in Epson's R series of printers (R200/220/300/300M/320/340)? While many companies sell pigment 'Ultrachrome equivalent' inksets for these printers (actually, many of them don't even sell a dye set, only pigment), I haven't actually seen many people comment on how well it works. The few comments I've seen mention that 'it will work for awhile, but will eventually clog up'. I always take clogging problems with a grain of salt, as I think most people are simply unaware that you /have/ to keep a pigment printer running steadily or it will dry out.

How well does this work on photographic paper? The R800 and R1800 specifically have a gloss optimizer cartridge while you would be unable to add this to the R200 series. How does it affect the printer's CD printing abilities - will the pigment ink work on printable CDs, or is there a reason that Epson doesn't offer any printer with Durabrite ink with a CD print feature? Also, did you use color profiles for the specific inks you used, or did it just 'work' on its own. I can't imagine not having to use a specialized profile for this kind of modification.

I have an R340, and about four spare OEM inksets for it, but I'd like to change it to a pigment printer if it works well. If not, are there any aftermarket dye refill kits that have decent compatibility?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Fenrir Enterprises said:
How many of you have had a good experience using pigment ink in Epson's R series of printers (R200/220/300/300M/320/340)? While many companies sell pigment 'Ultrachrome equivalent' inksets for these printers (actually, many of them don't even sell a dye set, only pigment), I haven't actually seen many people comment on how well it works. The few comments I've seen mention that 'it will work for awhile, but will eventually clog up'. I always take clogging problems with a grain of salt, as I think most people are simply unaware that you /have/ to keep a pigment printer running steadily or it will dry out.
I've never tried to use Pigment ink in an R series printer purely because they weren't designed to work with that type of ink but that doesn't mean they won't.. I have seen a few people on forums reporting that they have gone that route but ended up getting about a month of use out of them before they clogged up... That said I couldn't find you the source now or give any further details on how/what action they took.

How does it affect the printer's CD printing abilities - will the pigment ink work on printable CDs, or is there a reason that Epson doesn't offer any printer with Durabrite ink with a CD print feature?
Well the R800 in the UK does have this feature and does use a form of pigment ink I believe although it is a different formulation to the C series printers.

I have an R340, and about four spare OEM inksets for it, but I'd like to change it to a pigment printer if it works well. If not, are there any aftermarket dye refill kits that have decent compatibility?
The MIS kit is an obvious choice but just as a tip, it's well worth buying in pint+ quantities as the costs are overly pricey for smaller units.