pgi-5bk ink tank - empty?

chickens

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Been using my new canon on the pgi-5bk ink. Till now i've printed like 334 sheets paper (most of them are two sided) black and white pages. So now the ink is empty, and I've already got the no more ink warning, but I was printing when this occured so I continue the print and they said I'm suppose to change asap I've done it. But then, till now I still can print and the ink seems normal and fine, guess its using the sponge ink, and the intensity is the same, not getting lighter. Should I continue using it? When should I stop? Until the printer starts to print out nothing? This is just my first ever cartridge, lol so I dont have any experienced at all. But If I can continue using the sponge ink, why not? And I wonder why they detect the cartridge is empty when it still can print out stuff :/

Hope you guys can help out.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
chickens, the first warning occurs when the tank side is empty. The second warning will be software where the chip now will tell you that it is empty again or should be close to it. For the sake of your head, you should be doing one of two things now. Getting ready with a new cartridge or getting plans for refilling.
There is still ink in the sponge but it is not a good idea to suck it dry because before you detect it is too dry it may already have an ink feed problem and started to damage your head. The safe limit is the chip warning at which point stop or refill.

or do you want to play chicken with the printhead?