PGI-5 and CLI-8 Cartridges

Eolo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It's well known that Canon is the easiest printer to se with refilled cartridges. One of the aspects of it has been the edible ink usage for cake icings and so.

Regarding the radical change in cartridges (being the first time Canon uses chipped carts), is Canon actually going to lose this and other markets ?

Also, if anyone knows, how long does the "parallel" market take to react to this kind of changes, for instance, how long did it took with the Epsons ?

Regards to all forum participators

Jamin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Canon uses the chipped carts on the new model of ip4200, and I have test it, and also i have studied its ink (8BK,5PGBK,8C,8M,8Y), I think we still can work with the refilled carts of ip4200 although its ink monitor disabled.
By now i use my own inks on ip4200, it is a good printer.

I believe the new compatible chips and carts will occur in the future.

billie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I know one supplier who has started selling such cartridges without chips. There is a two-side adhesive tape on the chip location in order that the user could stick the OEM chips on compatibles. However, it's complicated and maybe some users are not willing to do this.

d86cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I dont doubt that the chip re-setters will apear soon. Hopefully within the next few months. Although the ink is "CromaLife100" i'm sure using 6 ink will be fine.

Regs

Dan

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
billie said:
I know one supplier who has started selling such cartridges without chips. There is a two-side adhesive tape on the chip location in order that the user could stick the OEM chips on compatibles. However, it's complicated and maybe some users are not willing to do this.
Wouldn't the information on the OEM chip , that's being transferred to another tank, simply generate the same message from the printer?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
jackson said:
Wouldn't the information on the OEM chip , that's being transferred to another tank, simply generate the same message from the printer?
Yes it would... but of course the solution is supposedly lower mess for the end user because it doesn't get any ink everywhere..

Personally I just think it's the aftermarket crew trying to cash in early on a largely untapped market.. and frankly I don't see too many people thanking them for it in the long run.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I suppose that if you were using OEM carts, when one was empty, you could swap it with an empty from your friend (who uses the same printer carts).The printers would be happy (it's a different chip, aint it?).Better if you have a large circle of friends.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
jackson said:
I suppose that if you were using OEM carts, when one was empty, you could swap it with an empty from your friend (who uses the same printer carts).The printers would be happy (it's a different chip, aint it?).Better if you have a large circle of friends.
I can't be sure of this but I'm pretty sure that the chip marks itself as empty when the cart is done and dusted so this wouldn't work.. it's still an empty..

billie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
At this stage, nobody in aftermarket could produce this kind of chips, and the users need third party cartridges for replacement. So it's the only way now to sell this sort of cartridges.