Paper Jam - All the causes [input needed]

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I've been noticing more and more reports of printers getting errored out with phantom paper jams that seem to be related to both poor printer design and just cr*p user handling so I'm looking to compile a list of root causes and potential solutions that aren't based on cloned YouTube/blog articles by folk who lack direct experience.

I'm already aware that one key vector is the sensor that lives under the printhead getting gunked/soiled or similar but I'm curious as to other causes and, of course, the solutions that folk have tried, tested and recommend.

I suspect the paper jam error causes more junked printers than most others so it would be nice to put a pin in the problem in a way that actually stopped some of that waste if possible.

Any input?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As an aside, anyone who talks about fermenting used inks and paper in grannies basement to form a spreadable condiment will be soundly abused with Dad jokes so don't even think of it...

:smack :gig

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
My PRO-10 gives a paper jam warning from time to time without any paper stuck.
I then insert a heavy A3+ sheet backwards through the rollers.
This seems to toggle a switch and the printer makes a lot of noises but it clears the error.
No idea where the switch is located.