Original vs third party ink refills

Jim Joe

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L121
My question applies to any printer ink refills.
I have Epson L121.
Original Epson (4)ink set costs around $20.
But China made or third party inks sell for much less like under $3.
There are some claimed to be Epson original and sells for $10.

Epson tells me I always need to use original.
But WHY?

Maybe there are some color variations, but will third party inks really damage the printer?
Is it worth paying lower price for third party inks?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Maybe there are some color variations, but will third party inks really damage the printer?
Refill inks typically do not damage the printhead but who knows - that has never been tested.

I assume that you are using Epson 664 bottled inks with your printer - these inks don't have a good long term stability performance - they fade rather quick - other Epson inks of the photo ecotanks perform much better - but there is a rather high chance that 3rd party refill inks of unkown origin - nobody knows the manufacturer of the raw dye colorants - are even worse - lower cost - even lower performance - if that does not matter for you go with such inks but don't complain later

Epson tells me I always need to use original.
But WHY?
Ask Epson - there could be a warranty issue with your printer that Epson may refuse warranty service if they find out that you are using non-Epson inks.

Jim Joe

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L121
Refill inks typically do not damage the printhead but who knows - that has never been tested.

I assume that you are using Epson 664 bottled inks with your printer - these inks don't have a good long term stability performance - they fade rather quick - other Epson inks of the photo ecotanks perform much better - but there is a rather high chance that 3rd party refill inks of unkown origin - nobody knows the manufacturer of the raw dye colorants - are even worse - lower cost - even lower performance - if that does not matter for you go with such inks but don't complain later

Ask Epson - there could be a warranty issue with your printer that Epson may refuse warranty service if they find out that you are using non-Epson inks.
All due respect, I am not sure WHY you replied cus you said NOTHING, NO help at all. Allow me to explain.
BTW you are Platinum member? REALLY?

"Refill inks typically do not damage the printhead but who knows - that has never been tested"
Who knows? Don;t you have some facts? I am sure you know more about printing than average person.
And you reply "who knows?" wow

I assume that you are using Epson 664 bottled inks with your printer
Is there any other type of ink other than 664?

these inks don't have a good long term stability performance - they fade rather quick - other Epson inks of the photo ecotanks perform much better
ok, What are "other Epson inks"? I am confused? so 664 in NO good?

but there is a rather high chance that 3rd party refill inks of unknown origin - nobody knows the manufacturer of the raw dye colorants - are even worse - lower cost - even lower performance
ok, that's why I posted my question here, to findout from "experts" like you. Yet you said NOTHING to help me.
I see third party sellers sell LOTS of 664 at CHEAP price, If it's that bad then why people keep buying them? For example, Amazon buyers give great reviews. On same 664 ink knock offs, there are both good an bad reviews. so CONFUSING.
Some sites' Epson "Original" 664 prices vary wildly..like 50% or more. so IF they are original Epson 664 than why such price differences?

if that does not matter for you go with such inks but don't complain later
All due respect, what an @#%^#$(%#* reply. I don;t know thus I am asking questions here to EXPERTS like you. Are you sure you are Platinum member? Printing EXPERT? WOW

Anyway you wrote some words in reply but you said NOTHING. Don;t you READ your reply before you send?
BTW read you reply AGAIN as third party. Does it make any sense to you?
I am speechless, except to say WOW