On the disappearing Ilford Classic

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
I'm starting a new thread which became a sub-topic of another.

I found the dpreview item referred to earlier. It's two months old. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=37755365

At B&H, there is no mention of discontinuance. Two Classic Gloss size/qty items are "Temporarily Unavailable," but none are stated as being discontinued. Nothing on Adorama, although they dropped a couple of prices and added Free Shipping to many, recently.

I've not heard back from Ilford.

In the meantime, I'm taking a good look at HP offerings, since they may remain the last swellable polymer standing. (Not the "Advanced" products, of course, they are microporous.) I have a box of glossy Premium Photo Paper, not their Plus, that I picked up along the way. Without any adjustment on the 9000-2 at all, color rendition is "very good," fine for non-critical work. The B&W portions of my test image are a bit cool, bluish, but I'd bet the average guy on the street wouldn't have any issue. The paper itself is darker than the Canon offerings, which is darker than Ilford's. This is as viewed in sunlight with about two weeks of aging.

HP seems to have three grades for these papers, pretty straight forward. The Everyday paper is glossy only, thin, of course, but only $15 for a box of 100 at Adorama! The Premium is the mid grade. The top Premium Plus is $26 for 50 sheets in gloss, add two dollars for "soft gloss." These are for letter size, of course. The big A3 is available only in the best grade, about $48 for 25 sheets.

I'm betting that the emulsions are either identical or virtually so and it is only the paper base that changes. Frankly, I have little reason to pay extra for heavier paper stock in my life. I just don't get this fixation on the "feel" of a paper, or if it will survive being run over by a Hummer. Or is it waterproof? I can't speak to everyone, but I LOOK at photos, not fondle them. Mi dos centavos.