OfficeJet L7380 Died, fix it or chuck it?

racedirector

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all

Great forum, found you guys while looking into continuous inking systems. I am hoping you can help in some way....

Before I go off and buy a new printer I would like to know if it is worth trying to get my L7380 going. I hadn't used it for about 3 months after moving house, didn't take the old cartridges out before storing. Bought a brand new set of 18's for it and turned it on. The first thing that came up was an alignment error telling me to look at the documentation. I tried printing a status page however it wouldn't print black. So I look on the net for solutions and some recommended soaking the printheads in warm water to displace and old ink. I did that to both but still no go.

I can't get rid of the alignment error so suspect one or both of the printheads has a problem, am I correct? If so it is chuck, not spending $100 to $150 on a printer I paid $50.00 for. However, if not the heads, the no printing black problem remains. Any ideas on that one? I was just going to chuck the printer as I don't have a bottomless pocket to replace the cartridges all the time, the brand new yellow is already empty and the black 3/4 empty from the printer trying to check itself (yet it won't print black at all - strange huh?)

Any help you may be able to offer would be appreciated....

Cheers
Bruce

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
That printer is probably done for if you can't even get past the alignment error check plus trying to completely eliminate clogging from cartridges left behind is almost futile. Clogging from a printhead with cartridges removed is hard enough but you had three months worth of ink drying in that print head.

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Those series of HP printers can be a nightmare once they start to clog. I had two L7680s... neither one lasted more than six months. Multiple printheads (many under warranty). I tried all sorts of things to prolong their life but I finally just gave up.

Websnail has had quite a fight with these printers as well. He said that the greatest amount of problems come when they are used in hot/dry climates (like mine).

Especially since you only paid $50 for the printer I would just throw it away.

racedirector

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate it the info. The ole 7380 will go off to a place called Reverse Garbage so someone else can use the parts. I'll use it for scanning for a little while and then give it it's new home.... off to buy another printer.....

Cheers
Bruce