Newbie - problem re-setting Lexmark 28 & 29 inkjets after filling

Zimbeze

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi i'm a newbie needing some help.

I just bought a Lexmark x2550 and need help... After refilling the colour cart # 29 I can't find a way to reset the ink level. The printer just pops up a message that the cart is empty... Ther's nothing in the printer controll centre to say that I have fitted a new cart like previous Lexmark printers and I have tried using 3 different carts in a row but still no joy... I assume I may have to do the covering contacts with tape trick (like for my HP) or try more cartridges!!??

Help please someone - I have a load of flyers to print urgently

... thanks Zimbeze

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Others will have differing opinions on this machine, but it wouldn't even be in the vicinity of my radar screen, let alone on it, as a refilling contender.
From what I have seen, the best to expect is no ink level monitoring if you can get it to accept the refill. Same for Dells which are Lexmarks.

There may be a way, using full, legit carts to "fool" it but I have not done it.

The other knock on Lexmark / Dell is their Vista drivers...very poor.
Is it possible to return this beast and get something that is a bit more refill-friendly ?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Might be a long shot, but if you are still under warranty perhaps you should call lexmark, tell them that you just bought a new replacement cartridge, and your machine won't reset back to "full"..If you're lucky, a technician MAY tell you how to do this. I know you could fool previous models, but I have never seen this particular model .

When you DO find out, post your results here..it just might help someone else.

Good Luck!!

Zimbeze

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have been told the fiollowing.... With new Lexmarks the manufacturer has added into the cartridge circuitry what we believe is a sort of fuse - when the cartridge reaches the "low" indication - it blows this "fuse" after the cartridge says it is empty.

I have now binned the printer as could not wait for someone to crack it... Maybe sometime in the future the compatibles can be refilled!!

Cheers and thanks for the help.
Zim