New Arthur Entlich article on Printer Economics

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Thanks for sharing that...

Was a good read even if I didn't get a few things done as a result :)

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Art Entlich has a Printer Maintenance / Printhead Cleaning Manual that he will email to you free of charge if you request it.
He does Epsons and spent quite a bit of his time with me when I was working on one.
I have his email address around here somewhere.....I found it....send a PM if interested

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I only understood that it’s a bargain to live in EU with low inkjet prices and refill cartridges. The author forgot that in EU currency is often exchanged 1:1 ratio and not like it should be $:Euro ratio.

Almost 90% percent of the time I see internet shops price in $ is the same in European store but only in Euros. Now when you add shipping and tax you seriously begin to question a trip to US and to get Laptop, Camera, LCD monitor etc. anything with price point of 1000 or above.

Some people I know go to US buy a PC like apple travel back after a week or so and they just made free trip to US. How???
Simple the Apple PC sells here for the same price they sold it few hundred Euros less and the rest went into paying for their trip.

Regional cartridges is nonsense but what we (customers) do to prevent it? Refill? That only encourages manufacturer to enforce stronger nonsense things into cartridges an printer. We need to go for legal level and fight there.

IGExpandingPanda

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Smile said:
I only understood that its a bargain to live in EU with low inkjet prices and refill cartridges. The author forgot that in EU currency is often exchanged 1:1 ratio and not like it should be $:Euro ratio.

Some people I know go to US buy a PC like apple travel back after a week or so and they just made free trip to US. How???
Simple the Apple PC sells here for the same price they sold it few hundred Euros less and the rest went into paying for their trip.

Regional cartridges is nonsense but what we (customers) do to prevent it? Refill? That only encourages manufacturer to enforce stronger nonsense things into cartridges an printer. We need to go for legal level and fight there.
Obviously for Europeans they are more likely to hit the east coast than west. It's harder to avoid tax on the east coast but there are states without sales takes, on the east coast Delaware, and New Hampshire. Alaska, Montana, and and Oregon have no state sales tax. Cities may have their own tax.

You can mail order and so long as you are ordering from a place that doesn't have a point of presence in the state it's being shipped to, you don't get charged sales tax. Cost of shipping is unfortunately not constant, and there sometimes is a handling charge. I remember way back when ordering memory which is a VERY light item, and discovered ording from one company the S&H totaled to the low three digits. The price was reasonable, but still.

Japan seems to have the lowest cost for ink cartridges, at least for Canon. Case in point, a complete set of bci-9bk & bci-7e, which are the same as the PGI-5 and CLI8, costs ¥4,398 with tax.

That's USD$47 or 37 Euros. A good price for a complete set would be $50 for a 4 tank multi pack, and $16 for the black. Let's say $60 with tax. $72-77 is typical presuming $14 color, $16 black, and whatever tax.

The prices were better last year.

Japan US $47 EU $37 with tax
US $60-72 $42-57 plus tax

Of course one would have to tell their printer it's Japanese in order to take the Japanese ink. On the mp760, it was a pain since once the printer was told it was Japanese, it displayed everything in Japanese. There wasn't a feature to display English.

But this whole region encoding is a joke.