New 70gsm paper soaking up more ink

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma E510, Pixma G2010
Hi just got a new ream of 70gsm paper and I am seeing that it is soaking up more ink than the previous 70gsm brand.
The newer brand has a smoother feel to it and is a bit yellowish tint.
The older one was a rougher texture and was white.
All prints are done in draft mode and contain text only.

The new one: IMG_20220325_151116.jpg

The old one: IMG_20220325_151130.jpg

Is the newer one not compatible with my printer? The printer is a Canon G2010 that I bought few weeks back.

EDIT: The previous brand had some sort of ColorLok thingy mentioned on the package but paper was more rough to the touch.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think you mean the problem is the print is visible from the backside of the paper? The solution will be to use a thicker and more opaque paper. Special high definition papers suitable for duplex printing with inkjet printers are available. These papers are suitable for book printing. Images both black/white and colour will also print better, almost like on photo paper. These papers are of course much more expensive than ordinary plain copier paper. Maybe our paper expert @The Hat has a comment?

I think the problem is much more dependent on the paper than the type and model of printer.

I made a simple test document with The word "TEST" in white on a black background. I printed it on a standard plain 80gsm copier paper using an inkjet printer Canon MP980 and a laser printer HP LaserJet 1018. I scanned the prints from both the front and back side. The inkjet print is at top.

Here is the front page, click to enlarge:

Test ink-laser 1.jpg

And seen from the back side, click to enlarge:

Test ink-laser 2.jpg

It is seen the laser is less visible from the backside, but still visible.

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think you mean the problem is the print is visible from the backside of the paper? The solution will be to use a thicker and more opaque paper. Special high definition papers suitable for duplex printing with inkjet printers are available. These papers are suitable for book printing. Images both black/white and colour will also print better, almost like on photo paper. These papers are of course much more expensive than ordinary plain copier paper. Maybe our paper expert @The Hat has a comment?

I think the problem is much more dependent on the paper than the type and model of printer.

I made a simple test document with The word "TEST" in white on a black background. I printed it on a standard plain 80gsm copier paper using an inkjet printer Canon MP980 and a laser printer HP LaserJet 1018. I scanned the prints from both the front and back side. The inkjet print is at top.

Here is the front page, click to enlarge:

View attachment 13994

And seen from the back side, click to enlarge:

View attachment 13995

It is seen the laser is less visible from the backside, but still visible.
Actually the previous brand I used had much less visibility from backside.
Don't know what happened what's up with this new ream of paper I bought. Both are 70gsm with the only difference being that the previous brand had a rough texture on the surface and the newer one is more smooth.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe a better 70gsm plain paper could be found? Maybe those with Color-Lok are better and probably also more expensive? You might have to test different brands of paper to find a better paper.

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Maybe a better 70gsm plain paper could be found? Maybe those with Color-Lok are better and probably also more expensive? You might have to test different brands of paper to find a better paper.
Actually it was the opposite lol. The older one was cheaper and newer one was from a more known brand. Anyways I think it maybe because of the smoother surface allowing the ink particles to move faster before drying.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Don't know what happened what's up with this new ream of paper I bought. Both are 70gsm with the only difference being that the previous brand had a rough texture on the surface and the newer one is more smooth.
For a start you should never use 70gm paper on your inkjet, it’s just to lightweight, the minimum weight for inkjets is 80gm copier, and as for Colorlok that paper causes more problems than its worth, but some do swear by it !.. Great on Laser..

80gm copy paper is the cheapest paper on the market today and your 70gm paper was probably more expensive and may even be a bond paper, if you don’t want your image showing through the sheet or wish to print both sides then use 90 or 100 gm paper

The majority of papers on the market are for laser printers and art projects but there are loads of inkjet paper too, and they are usually far more expensive, so your best choice is to stick with 80gm copier..
P.S. Ty Lidl for 80gm copy paper..

Last edited:

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
80gm copy paper is the cheapest paper on the market today and your 70gm paper was probably more expensive and may even be a bond paper, if you don’t want your image showing through the sheet or wish to print both sides then use 90 or 100 gm paper
I have some 100gsm laser+inkjet paper from Cedar but it is a ColorLok Licensed paper. I used them sparingly as they were a pain to find. Should I just use them for my daily printing needs? Will constant use of the 100gsm cause any issue in future like premature failure of the feed rollers?

Also is it fine to use the 70gsm once in a while for prints that will be one use/thrown away like invoices and handouts?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Should I just use them for my daily printing needs? Will constant use of the 100gsm cause any issue in future like premature failure of the feed rollers? is it fine to use the 70gsm once in a while for prints that will be one use/thrown away
No don’t use the 100gm for daily use, it’s to good a paper for that, nor will it cause any issues regarding the feed rollers, the 70gm is best used up for throw away items..

rounakr94

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
No don’t use the 100gm for daily use, it’s to good a paper for that, nor will it cause any issues regarding the feed rollers, the 70gm is best used up for throw away items..
@The Hat
Hi,
Got hold of some non ColorLok 80gsm paper after searching for 2 days. Prints dont soak up but take a few more seconds to dry out when compared to the 70gsm, maybe because the surface is a bit smoother and paper is bit thicker on the 80gsm.

Last edited:

Latest posts