need a new printer with very good colour reproduction

anwenk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi,
My canon ip3000 has just broken- I have concluded- something to do with the magenta print head- have cleanded it numerous times on both cycles and the images are all coming out a saturated green hue. I figure its probably cheaper to buy a new one than get it fixed....

I am an artist and work from my photographs so I need a printer that gives me as close to the screen colours as possible- I know its impossible to get exact as the screen is like a transperancy- but I just dont want to stuff around with colour balance all the time. I am considering the ip8500 - altho a couple of reviews have said it has a pinkish hue to its prints... has any one experienced this? Any suggestions on a really good colour printer that will be economic on ink as I probably print about 25 A4 colour prints on the highest setting every week.
Thanks

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To Anwenk,

First, if you want exact color reproduction, you need to read up on printer profiles on these forums which you can purchase for a fairly low cost. But basically these depend on the printer, the ink you use, and the photopaper.---change any variables and the color shifts.--and various software gives you better color control than just relying on Canon printer software.---but many on these forums are far more expert in this area so I will let them advise you on what they use.

But if you have been happy with the ip3000, do consider either unclogging the printhead you have or ordering a new one---as the ip3000 does have a fairly inexpensive printhead.---which by the way interchanges with quite a few earlier generation Canon printers.

And I may be wrong on this but it seems to me that when you get into six or more colors printers, getting an exact color match becomes harder---the ip3000 is a mere four color and lacks the BCI-6 photoblack---not much of a handicap unless your photos involve areas of a deep black.

My last question is do you refill or just use Canon OEM cartridges?-----ink is a major variable for color match and few refill inks are a good match to Canon OEM. But at your printing volume you could save a bundle by refilling. But refilling is easier with a non-chipped canon and those are getting hard to find. Which could tip the balance towards fixing the one you have.

There is no ip3000 replacement in a chipped Canon---but plenty of five color equivalents to the ip4000 or 5000 exist that may do even better than your ip3000
in terms of exact color match.

erick13

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the ip8500 and haven't noticed any pinkish hues with my prints.