MP610 - U052 error

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My MP610 gave me U052 error today.
U052: The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head.

MP610 and iP4500 uses the same printhead. I have backup iP4500 printers.

Is it safe to put a good printhead into the MP610 with U052 error?
I think it is safe because the hardware is sane enough to generate this error. Do you agree with my assessment?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have had bad experiences with machine failures which were for unknown reasons and where the printhead was replaced with a "good " one (and became u/s and also where a machine failed and the printhead was tried in a new machine and then the new machine became u/s.

The best you can do is minimise this gamble

1. Do not use printhead from this machine in any other machine.
2. I presume you have 2 (at least) 4500 printheads. You can use 1 in the affected machine but if the fault is still there then that printhead also would now be "untrustworthy" and should be sidelined also , write off the 610 .you then have 1 4500 left that you can risk the two sidelined printheads in when you become desperate.
3 .If there is no problem and the 610 works ok..........destroy the original"suspected faulty printhead..

4. Or dont gamble .Dispense with the 610 and leave the 4500`s alone.Replace the 610

I am sorry I cannot be more positive , but thats my experience and the type of gamble I would take.........please advise how you get on ....I hope option 3 worksfor you.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I tend to agree not to try it with a good print head although it costs me only $10 each for my backup iP4500s. I am going to take the MX-700 to replace the MP610.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
embguy said:
I tend to agree not to try it with a good print head although it costs me only $10 each for my backup iP4500s. I am going to take the MX-700 to replace the MP610.
Probably the safest choice..........before consigning the 610 and its printhead to printer heaven .......(you have almost certainly done this anyway)..........clean the electrical contacts on the printhead with isopropyl alcohol or similar and examine the pins they contact with to see they are not bent or otherwise compromised, and try one last time.

Techsmith

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP 3050
Just found this forum and feeling great, lots of knowledge around here. I do not use Canon anymore, but experienced the same issue when i did use Canon and had it resolved by reseating the printhead and the cartridges. This may help new bies