MG6650 Service Tool Software required please.

MTBGuy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6650
Hi All,
New user here, hoping that you will be able to assist me in keeping my reliable Canon MG6650 alive and out of the landfill/recycle center!

I have not attempted any repair yet.

My issue is that the printer is flagging a message saying that the Ink absorber is nearly full. It is currently still working, so assume it is between 95 - 100% full.
I have ordered a replacement ink absorber, part code: QC4-7073 and am awaiting its arrival.

Reading through many posts, it appears that I require the service tool software. However, it is unclear which version, as there are conflicting statements. I believe it is V.4712 but I cannot locate anywhere to obtain this. I found this info from another website.

Please could one of you advise:
A). Which Service Tool do I require?
B). Advice where I can obtain this?
C). Have I ordered the correct part for my Canon MG6650? Part code QC4-7073
D). Any further advice you can offer to aid the repair.

Waiting in anticipation, with my thanks in advance!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I hope this answer is not too late.

ad A+B) Service tool v4720 or higher will work with your printer without causing lock of service mode. Here is a link to a free download. Like all newer service tools this will cause a virus warning from your antivirus program. Some say that the warning can be ignored and the service tool can be allowed to run, others suggest the use of a dedicated computer or harddisk with no personal data for this purpose. Here is a test of the service tool.

ad C) No, the ink absorbers are much larger pieces of a felt-like material installed deep inside the printer. Here is a link to the proper absorber kit, QY5-0450.

ad D) I think the printer has got sensor fields instead of push buttons? if so this instruction by @palombian for entering service mode might be useful.

The disassembly to replace the absorbers and reassembly of the printer is no simple task, and some say you can get away with resetting the printer without replacing the absorbers just once, others say you risk a nasty ink spill if the absorbers overflow. If you don't change the absorbers it is recommended to put a tray under the printer to contain a possible ink leakage.

MTBGuy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG6650
I hope this answer is not too late.

ad A+B) Service tool v4720 or higher will work with your printer without causing lock of service mode. Here is a link to a free download. Like all newer service tools this will cause a virus warning from your antivirus program. Some say that the warning can be ignored and the service tool can be allowed to run, others suggest the use of a dedicated computer or harddisk with no personal data for this purpose. Here is a test of the service tool.

ad C) No, the ink absorbers are much larger pieces of a felt-like material installed deep inside the printer. Here is a link to the proper absorber kit, QY5-0450.

ad D) I think the printer has got sensor fields instead of push buttons? if so this instruction by @palombian for entering service mode might be useful.

The disassembly to replace the absorbers and reassembly of the printer is no simple task, and some say you can get away with resetting the printer without replacing the absorbers just once, others say you risk a nasty ink spill if the absorbers overflow. If you don't change the absorbers it is recommended to put a tray under the printer to contain a possible ink leakage.
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply to my request for help! Also for the additional part code details.
I have found an American website (not sure if I'm allowed to share a link to it here), that has service tool V.6100 available for download at $19.99. It specifically lists the MG6600 series amongst a myriad of other Canon printers it will work with. Is this valid or being from an American website will it not be compatible?
I was going to pay and download that if I had no other option.
I've read that it's better to use a newer version of the tool and then work backwards towards earlier versions if it doesn't work, because using too early an version can render your printer in to a "Brick" requiring an eprom reblow.
Hopefully I can work out how to get into the absorber pads. 38 years ago I was an office equipment engineer working on photocopier's, typewriters and wordproccessors, but things have changed since then 👍😃

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
...I've read that it's better to use a newer version of the tool and then work backwards towards earlier versions if it doesn't work, because using too early an version can render your printer in to a "Brick" requiring an eprom reblow.....

You are right. for a newer printer you will need a newer service tool (higher version number). The newer versions can most likely not be found for free, but you will have to buy them. There are often more vendors of a service tool, so a little search might save some money. Many service tools have been offered for sale at eBay.