Matte paper

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
rodbam said:
Has anyone compared the Staples matt paper to the Canon photo matt paper? I often wonder when someone says they get very good prints from different mat papers as to haw good the prints really are. I have no choice or access to affordable matt paper down here but I did buy some A4 Canon matt paper & the results wouldn't stand up to caparison with say Ilfords smooth pearl etc.
The now discontinued Canon fine art premium matt printed beautifully for a matt paper & I could afford it now & then, $47 for 20 sheets of A3+. I'm really desperate to find an affordable mat paper locally that I'm considering buying an art watercolour book called Canson montval & use the pages from that, costs about $30 for an A3 book of 12 sheets 300gsm.
Rodbam - The Staples photo supreme double sided matte paper would certianly not pass itself off as a fine arts paper, but it produces as good a photo image as any of the other matte photo papers I've used. Any of the glossy papers, including the smooth pearl, produce color photos with more "snap" and more intense colors. At $2 US on sale for 50 sheets of 8.5x11 it is more than suitable for greeting cards and note cards. I've also liked matte photos for posters, depending on the type of light under which they will be viewed. Any gloss at all might be difficult to view when light would be reflected from the surface. I've done 2 x 3 foot photo posters (with a simple poster program that breaks up the photo in several 8.5x11 pages) mounted on foam core display board with the Staples Matte paper for parties. They've come out quite well. These are basically for temporary use as decor.

for matte-printed large format photos or graphics on my 9000 mk II I bought 13x19 Red River 50# premium matte and am very happy with it. With the larger sheets of paper the haevier weight makes mounting with spray adhesive much easier.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Thanks Emu. The shipping is $22 but the luster paper looks interesting. I will look for it locally.