Looking for pixma that would use black cartridge only (Like ip1200)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I'm looking for canon pixma printer or that would use integrated printhead and would allow to install and use only BLACK cartridge.

Canon maked ip1200 with this feature, you could install only PG-40 black cartridge an no color. Now I'm not sure if it's possible. Maybe there is driver hack or something.

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Smile,... I'm not going to ask why you would even want to do this,..because it makes no sense. The Canon printer typical have black ink carts and color ink carts. You can always force the printer to only print in black and set it as the default. The print driver will insist on the color ink carts being in the printer, but so what,.. you don't have to print with them. However, don't ever put any photographic paper in the printer and you'll be fine. Just use the black ink and refill when you need to.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Trigger 37 said:
Smile,... I'm not going to ask why you would even want to do this,..because it makes no sense. The Canon printer typical have black ink carts and color ink carts. You can always force the printer to only print in black and set it as the default. The print driver will insist on the color ink carts being in the printer, but so what,.. you don't have to print with them. However, don't ever put any photographic paper in the printer and you'll be fine. Just use the black ink and refill when you need to.
Hmm, I need that for an experiment I'm going to make, that need for 1 cartridge in the printer.
The cartridge should have one set of nozzles like black.

I need this to make some experiments with ink, and I not wan't to mess up with color cartridge that I don't need.
Printer while parking, cleaning (during test) will eat some ink in color cartridge even if I never use it in the test.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Smile - if you only want to print black get a laser printer. Some have toner cartridges that can be refilled, and some have the ability to just replace toner without the entire cartridge. I can't give any advice on any of these, but maybe someone in the group can.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
fotofreek said:
Smile - if you only want to print black get a laser printer. Some have toner cartridges that can be refilled, and some have the ability to just replace toner without the entire cartridge. I can't give any advice on any of these, but maybe someone in the group can.
Laser is a no go. I need the printer to use ink not toner. As I said I need the printer to do some expreiments with ink. As I will use single color ink at a time I need 1 color cartridge.